1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to Plowing Boss or Fisher? Trip edge or Full Tilt

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by sfijal, Jul 27, 2009.

1. sfijal

sfijal Junior Member

I'm looking to get a plow for residential only. Me personally and family and friend no more the 10 or so driveway
    I have a steep driving and is appox 1000 ft long.
    7'6 standard vs same size HD?
    Pricing seems to be relative between Boss / Fisher / Western.

Boss seems to have an edge up with their hydraulics. I'm leaning toward boss.
    However I'm getting varied options between a trip edge and Full tilt.

Is there any true answer to this question?
    I have read other threads and I see people posting about broken spings alot
    Can this be expected on both the full tilt and trip edge?

Any support or opions would be appreciated.

I'm going to be Plowing with a Chevy Avalanche 2500 with 8.1 litre

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

With a 2500 Avalanche, you could potenially put a 8 footer on that thing. I believe it has a 1500hd frame?. B&B would know. But, I would side with a boss. You will love love love it.
  3. coral

coral Senior Member

i have owned western, now have all boss, would reccomend trip edge? boss i think has some. our boss have not held up. center hinge broke has needed welding many times. ran western 5 yrs no welding no problems..... choice is yours. just my opinion.
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

With that driveway, I would be looking for a Vee. The XV is a nice plow, and available in 7.5 if you want a smaller plow.
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Trip method is a matter of personal preference and you'll get many a different opinions as I'm certain you've found via the search feature. But to add a few specifics; a full trip will be slightly lighter on the truck, and on the few different specific models you've mentioned the full trips will scrape a bit better due to a steeper attack angle than the same comparable trip edges but once again it really is personal preference.

Broken springs are just part of the snow removal game for some operators and conditions but what I believe your actually referring to (that you read) is the wing return springs on the Boss vee's. As they're known to eat a few per season when unnecessarily over tightened during installation. Not applicable on a straight blade or non Boss vee and doesn't really apply to your choices of trip method on a straight blade either so don't base your desision solely on that detail.
  6. sfijal

sfijal Junior Member

Thanks for the replies thus far. Your opinions are very helpful. Looking forward to snowy winter in the North East.

STROLLOSTOWING Junior Member

Looking foward to installing your plow in a couple of weeks ??? DO NOT FISH IN A STORM OF DISAPPOINTMENT BE YOUR OWN BOSS!!!!
  8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Whichever you get will be the "best". Some like Ford, some like Chevy, some like Dodge, some like trip edge, some like full trip, some like Western, some like Boss, some like Fisher and some aren't happy no matter what.