1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new to plowing and need help please

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by AO8, Nov 17, 2009.

1. AO8

AO8 Junior Member
    from IL

hello, I live in southern IL where we usually get about 4 good snows a year, not really the snow plowers dream place but good side money in the winter. I mow in the summer and dont have a job for the winter so I am looking to make a good amount of money snow plowing but im not sure what I should get equipment wise. I have a few questions and if anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

- Should I buy a four wheeler with a plow or a good snow blower? Which of each should I buy if I do?

- What is the best Price Freindly de-icer? salt? driveway heat? and should I spread it with something special or just my lawn fertilizer and seed spreader?

Thanks! Goodluck and safety to all this winter!
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Welcome to PS.
    If you READ the different forums you WILL find answers to your questions.
    Get a quote on insurance before you go any farther on buying equipment.
  3. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

i agree with hydro about checking into plow insurance, and then go on from there, getting started i would get a plow truck, a snow blower, and regular rock salt is the cheapest, but be careful where you use it, as for spreading salt i use a scotts fert spreader, they are cheap and do a decent job, you may look into working for a plowing co either as an employee to start or a sub contractor, good luck
  4. AO8

AO8 Junior Member
    from IL

Ok thanks!