1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to plowing and looking for the Best Plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by CCM, Oct 16, 2008.

1. CCM

CCM Junior Member
    from MA

I have a F-250 V10 double cab and am just getting started in MA with driveways to start. I am looking for advice on the best Plow to buy. Boss, Fisher or? Back drag? size? 7.5 or 8' Anything else I should know?
  2. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

3. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

As stated by another member "the tunnel is empty...." but to answer your ? as you will be doing mostly drives you would want a plow with down pressure, so I would look at the sno-way
  4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

With a truck T H A T L O N G You might want to consider subbing out and plowing Parking lots. I dont think Driveways are the way to start. Too many things to run into, you are always just inches from a tree a car a garage door the lawn, Mail boxes, lamp posts, brick edging, basket ball hoops... the list goes on!! at least in a BIG parking lot half the time your in the middle of the lot windrowing.

with a wheel base that long any curve in the driveway and your rear wheels will drive over the snow on the side unless you have 8 1/2' or bigger plow witch is to big for driveways.

You cant do all things with one truck. you have a good truck for parking lots.

Of course I've never plowed a large parking lot, so what do I know
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Read through each plow manufacture's forum and then make an informed decision.
  6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The best plow is a working one that is mounted to the front of your 3/4 ton
    Pick one that matches your truck..
  7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I prefer a big blade on a large truck, I used a 8'6" straight blade last year and missed my 9'1" vee a lot. don't have to wiggle the truck quite as tight to clear the edges. JMO
  8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I'll agree with that and most drives are over 8ft wide too.
  9. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like a beast Basher, what type of truck? Why did you go to straight from v?:waving:
  10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Sold all the Vee plows in stock and someone wanted my used one so Kim sold itpayup

At the rate I'm selling Mega Vees I may have to do it again:mad: Already sold my Revo (I know, not enough truck:eek:) so unless i bring in another shipment i just have to hope she doesn't do it again. She already sold the blade I pushed last year.

I think I'll hide a Vee:cool:
  11. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Lol Nice basher, i think we are in for a good winter. Its all about the cycles a old wise man once told me! Get some pics of your truck,would like to see the set-up!
  12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What are you calling a double cab? Would that be an extended or crew cab? Short or long bed?

Makes a difference as far as the width of plow you'll need...
  13. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

If your interested I have a few plows for sale and I'm located in the Worcester Area
    Used 7.5 Diamond Poly Trip edge MDII (Minute Mount) with framemounts, wiring, controls, and modules $2700, is a straight plow , not used commercially

Used 8' Diamond Trip edge MDII ( Minute Mount) with frame mounts, wiring, controls and modules, $2500 plow is a straight plow, not used commercially

Used 9' Diamond Trip edge MDII ( Minute Mount) with frame mounts, wiring, controls and modules, $2700 plow is a straight plow, not used commercially

8' MeyerC-8 MDII ( Minute Mount) with frame mounts,wiring, controls, and modules, $2900 This plow pushed snow once! truly like new!

508-753-6617 or e-mail jphanratty@charter.net
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  14. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

get a nice fisher.....they make good dependabe plows.
  15. oldrock

oldrock Junior Member

hello guys. I subbed out last winter for parking lots. I have a 9' straight Fisher on a 1 ton GMC dually with a crew cab and an 8' bed. it is very long and I found myself in some tight spots but it worked out fine. I also did a few different driveways. the short drives are more difficult because you have to back drag the whole thing. there were a few times I wished I had a smaller truck though
  16. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

If your truck is a super cab/short bed than you can get away with doing driveways, anything longer might be very tricky especially with no experience. I'd say that I'd have to agree with Plowmiester here.
  17. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Fisher Eight Footer....and yes, that truck is realll long for driveways.
  18. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

19. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Hmmmm. Meyer still doesn't put any kind of dampener on the moldboard trip huh? I had a plow just like that years ago and ended up welding my own shock to the back. Takes alot of snap out of the blade.