1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to plowing and have questions about ultramount

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TurfSolutionsMN, Sep 27, 2008.

1. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

Hey everyone I am new to using trucks for commercial snow removal. I have been doing so removal for 10 years just doing sidewalks, driveways and subbing out lots. This year I am doing everything on my own. Last fall I bought a new Blizzard 860SW and a month ago bought a '01 Ford F250 w/ a Western 7.5 Pro ultramount. I decided today to go work on it. I hooked it up to my truck and the plow always stays on one side of the pivot bar when raised, so one side is always higher then the other,is this normal or is there something wrong. Also I just want to say thanks to everyone for making this such a great site.

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

are both your chains hooked up properly and of equal length? as im sure you know, when the plow is rasied , and angled the side closet to the truck , will be lower than the other - this is true for all plows

but while straight should be the same - i would check your chains

3. TurfSolutionsMN

from MN

The first thing I ckecked was the chains. They both are the same length from the A- frame. The blade does this even when in the straight mode.

4. elite1msmith

from chicago

let me ask you this....

is yor light stand level , both side to side and up&down?

if your light stand is leaning to one side, (as in a bent mounting frame) that will cause it.

this year i had a mount frame crack on one side, so the drivers side was lower than the passenger, the light tower was leaning, and there for the lifting point was slightly to one side, causeing the plow to be low on the drivers side

5. TurfSolutionsMN

from MN

As far as I know it was, but Im not sure. I dont know if this would help you or not. But when I was looking around it, I noticed when I put the plow on it was as far as it could go to the drivers side on the truck mount, which was about a 1/4". Also when I pushed on the drivers side of the plow trying to make it level again, it would just snap right back when I let go. Should the plow be balanced on the pivot bar.

6. elite1msmith

from chicago

it sounds like your mount might be messed up ,.... i would hook up , rasie the plow (jack stand under it) and just sart at the plow blade, measure left side , then right too see if its equal.... i would work my way back , and figure out what is bent.... if the light/pump mount is sitting on an agle then somethings not right with how your hooked up, or the mount itself might be bent.... this would casue the lift point to be to one side, and the plow to sit not level.... so like i said, is is just the plow and Aframe thats wrong? from the pivot bar forward? or is it the entire plow , light mount and all?

7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The plow on my 98 hangs funny also. Mine always hangs lower on the drivers side. I traced it all the way back to the frame of my truck. When I got hit last year the drivers side frame horn where the mount is bolted up to got bent down about an inch from the passengers side. All the body mounts for the truck must be fine since all my pannels still line up straight. These mounts must be pretty tough if it bent my frame before the mount.

Btw, Elite1 you have a pm.

8. elite1msmith

from chicago

no PM yet?

9. TurfSolutionsMN

from MN

Thanks guys for all your help!! I didn't have time to look at it today, but I will tomarrow and get back to your I really hope its nothing major. I am 90% sure the light stand is straight, but I will look tomarrow. So if the A-frame was bent it would make the plow stay on one side of the pivot bar all the time?

10. TurfSolutionsMN

from MN

I found out the problem today my mount is a 1/4" higher on the driver side. Is there anyway to correct this problem with out getting a new mount. Also the drivers side reciever mount is very loose when you move it up and down. What can I do?