1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to plowing and have a few questions!! Please answer what you can!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Rcappa, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Rcappa

Rcappa Junior Member

Show off your knowledge! any info on any of the questions will help greatly. Im 20 years old and trying to start a local snow removal business. Thanks in advance!

Okay I have a 98 chevy 3500, it came with a fisher plow mount on it. I also have a 6.5 western plow and controller...no mount or wires.

-Is it possible to modify the fisher mount to fit the western plow?

-I know my truck can handle a larger plow, is it possible to simply switch the 6.5 blade with a larger one?

-If i were to sell the fisher mount and western plow seperately about how much do you think i could get for each? and how much do you think a 7.5 plow complete setup would cost for my truck?

-any other options i may have would be helpful.

Please let me know what you think is best for my situation ( not a whole lot of money to play with)

THANKS AGAIN!

Rob

2. Langlois Enterprise

Langlois Enterprise Junior Member

New to plowing !!!

I would get a snow blower, and do a few driveway, that way if truck or plow fail you still can do drive ways. Nothing cheap about starting a plowing business.Always something going to cost money.

:waving:

3. FISHERMANXLS

FISHERMANXLS Junior Member

I don't think that u can modify a fisher mount on a western plow.
    I would sell the plow and buy a 8' fisher off of e-bay. You can find them on there for a decent price for just plow side. Thats if your truck has the wires and controls.
    For your prices look around on this site, crags list and e-bay and go from there.IMO

4. Rcappa

Rcappa Junior Member

what about selling the fisher mount and buying western mount?

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'd recommend at least 9' for that truck. Going for used is fine, if you know what you're doing but don't "cheap out" by getting a smaller plow. You'll be sorry and it'll cost you more in the long run than getting the right equipment for the job from the beginning.

6. Rcappa

Rcappa Junior Member

well i have the smaller plow right now....im thinking about using that until i can save up for a larger one. i know that right now i could use a much larger plow for my truck but for the sake of making money in the short term will it really be a huge deal if i use the 6.5 until i can afford an upgrade?

7. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

i would rather snowblow then use a 6.5 on a fullsize truck. even dead straight ur going to run over snow and pack it down and once its packed down ur screwed. secondly u have a plow that wont work on ur truck. it is probably the older style western mount so if u switch mounts to western u need the old style so when u go to upgrade to a bigger plow u cant buy new. your truck is set up for a fisher and most likely has the wiring. it is deff not work it to rip that all out find an old western mount and wiring and set ur truck up to run a 6.5. sell the 6.5 and buy a used fisher hd. is ur truck single wheel or dually. for a dually i recomend a min of 8.5 preferably 9 foot. and single wheel min 8 foot

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Go ahead and you tell us.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Why would you do that? That's the hard way. Sell the Western, scrape up some cash and buy a fisher. 9 foot is good for that truck, but 8 is OK if you don't have duals. Just drive into it, and go home. Done.

10. Rcappa

Rcappa Junior Member

How much do you think i could get for the 6.5 western?

11. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

its hard to say without seeing a picture of it and knowing exactly what it is aka mount type pump type etc

12. Rcappa

Rcappa Junior Member

it is a unimount. how do i find out the type of pump?

13. x.system

x.system Senior Member

14. Rcappa

Rcappa Junior Member

Hey xsystem im sending you a private message. and no it currently is not wired for a plow.

15. BLIZARD BUSTERS

BLIZARD BUSTERS Member

i am really intrested and willing to buy ur 6.5 if you can send me a pic or call me pm me so i can look at it i even come get it

16. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

since you already have the mounts for a fisher... buy a used fisher to match...technically you can make any plow work with any setup.... but you better be proficient with welding and electronics...