1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New To Me Western Plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by NBSnowGuy, Feb 10, 2011.

1. NBSnowGuy

NBSnowGuy Member

I've been plowing with tractors for a while but I just bought my first truck with a plow. It's a 1995 Ram 3500 and it came with a 9' Western plow. I'm wondering...

Does this have an oil filter that I can change somewhere?

What model of plow is it, and is there an owner's manual available somewhere?

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

That hydraulic unit is commonly known as the Isermatic. As twinmans diagram shows there is a sump screen but no atual filter element. When you pull the two bolts holding the motor in you can remove the motor and under it you will see the sump screen on the side of the pump. While you are in there drain the fluid, clean it out with some brake clean and then examine the magnet for metallic particals. Normally it will be coated with magnetic mud.
  4. twinman326

Keep in mind some don't have magnet inside...Just follow the directions in post #2..Make sure you have a 2x4 underneath the plow so you can swing the plow manually left and right to remove the fluid from the angle rams pressure lines when you have the disconnected from the manifold..Do that a couple of times before you re-hook up the lines correctly back to the manifold.. Make sure the pressure lines are tight..
  5. Bigrd1

Bigrd1 Senior Member

It also looks like your missing a pin on your passenger side light tower. make sure you check that all pins are in place as you don't want that thing falling off on you driving down the road.
  6. twinman326

bigrd1... Nice.. good catch

Your missing a "hitch pin (hold the plow to the mount) and a "hair pin cotter". Plus your missing a stand pin (1/2x 5.5), lock pin (5/8x2) that goes with the stand..Looking at the picture, the stand look damage..If you have a Napa auto store, you can get them from there..Or any hardware store should carry the stand pins and the hair pins (tractor supplies has them).. You don't want to plow with the stand hanging down or missing a hitch pin as well..

Or here is a link where you can order the parts
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  7. Bigrd1

Bigrd1 Senior Member

The stand looks pretty rough as most of the uni-mounts did. You could always just take it off and use a piece of wood.