1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to me truck...

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by CornerStoneProp, Apr 1, 2013.

1. CornerStoneProp

CornerStoneProp Senior Member

What do you think? I got a 1996 F350 with 8' Fisher MM1, 9' Mason dump truck. 4X4, 7.3 Powerstroke 5 Speed truck. It needs the driver side exhaust manifold, 4x4 shift linkage and an oil cooler. 66K miles on the truck and stole it at $4500. Very minor rust. Think I got a deal?

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like it. Pics?

3. CornerStoneProp

I am having it towed to my house tomorrow and will post a couple pics. How hard is the oil cooler? I never owned or worked on a diesel.

4. tyler886

tyler886 Member
    from RI

Oil cooler is nice and easy to do. Sometimes they'll squeeze out without having to undo drivers side motor mount. Sometimes you have to unbolt it, jack the engine up a little to gain enough room to slide the cooler out the back. Pay close attention to your turbo/downpipe if you have to jack the engine up.

-Tyler

5. CornerStoneProp

Why is it so hard to find someone to tow a mason dump? AAA won't do it because it has a dump bed. A 30+ foot camper is fine.. Makes no sense to me. Anyone here near Swansea MA or Vernon CT?

6. chevy2500meyer

chevy2500meyer Member

have you tried a larger tow company? cause ive seen medium tow trucks tow a 1 ton and every now and then with a trailer attached(if being dropped off close by).The price might be a little more but that might be your best shot.

7. CornerStoneProp

Let me rephrase my statement, why is it $500 to go 77 miles? I kind of spent much of my disposable income on the truck. I will make more but it will take a couple weeks to catch up.

8. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Get used to it. They are great motors when running good but can be expensve to repair especially if you can't do the work yourself.

9. chevy2500meyer

chevy2500meyer Member

Towing ain't cheap with diesel at $4 a gal. But that truck will be a tank when its done o would like to see pics up when you can.

10. CornerStoneProp

Will do asap.. not a perfect truck but in good shape for 17!

11. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Because tow companies have overhead and you can't do it yourself, thus why you need them. Same reason why having snow removed from your property with loaders and dump trucks is expensive.

12. chevy2500meyer

chevy2500meyer Member

I would have took the risk of renting a uhaul tow dolly.

13. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

If the front wheels would even fit on it. How about renting an equipment trailer for half a day from your local equipment rental place?

14. chevy2500meyer

chevy2500meyer Member

Idk about an equipment trailer good thought but I've only seen a dually put on a deckover trailer only.

15. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

With AAA it would cost at least 270-300 just to tow a car that far. Hauling a dump is a little different

16. CornerStoneProp

AAA imo should cover the tow that is why I got the membership to begin with.

17. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

i had to have a flatbed F350 single rear wheel towed by AAA once. while on the phone they asked what kind of body it had - knowing they had issues with dump/mason/flat/rack bodies, i told them it was a factory bed. they came out and towed it away no problems.

once the truck is dispatched, it will pick you up - unless you have a trailer hooked up to it.

18. CornerStoneProp

I should have tried that... I called the guy I sub for he has a wrecker to tow it. I am headed out first thing in the AM so wish me luck!

19. CornerStoneProp

Well I finally got the truck to CT tonight. I had it towed to a shop pics to follow

20. CornerStoneProp

Well I finally got it back from the shop for the oil cooler. On the ride home the engine temp light came on, but does not appear to overheat per the gauge and does not seem too hot. Was late and dark so I will have to look into this. Next repair is some rust on the frame so wish me luck.