1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New (to me) truck

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by farmerkev, Feb 27, 2012.

1. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Picked this up about two weeks ago. Its a 2005 F-350 Its got the 6.0, and I know Im taking a chance on it. Pulled outta the lot with only 24,600 miles on it. Definately the nicest truck Ive ever owned. Got a few nice pictures to toss up, but gotta find them. February and I can hardly find a spot to take a picture with snow in it.:confused:

2. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Thats nice looking I like the color also. but boy I hope it works ok thats low low miles for a 7 year old trucks. What made you get a diesel? Towing etc or just like them?
  3. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Well I do a lotta driving for work so Ive kinda considered getting one, plus I do find myself doing a good bit of towing and this should serve me well for that.
  4. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Nice looking truck! what are you going to add?
  5. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

First on the list is to get some kind of a programmer. Also want to do 4" turbo back exaust at some point and then maybe wheels. As for a plow, Im up in the air as to if Ill get one or not. A nice Boss V or a western wideout would both look great
  6. jrtcbmw

jrtcbmw Member

being a powerstroke owner. get the exhaust and get something to monitor your temperatures specifically, Fuel pressures, Oil temperature and Coolant temperature, those are the main ones others to monitor is egt, transmission temp and boost. once you've got an insight on how the truck is running then plan your next move. if you have a high delta between oil/coolant temps, time for some engine work (head gaskets, studs, egr cooler delete, etc). and watch your fuel pressure, get the ford blue spring in there asap and keep those pressures up around 60psi. After that get the SCT tuner and some custom tunes and youll really love that truck!!

if you need to know anything about these engines or have questions let me know, ive been in out of theses engines multiple times and done multiple cab off head gaskets jobs (including my own).

Either way, nice purchase. and good looking truck.
  7. F350plowing

F350plowing Senior Member

I might be picking one up this week like that but a crew cab..
  8. Dan85

Dan85 Senior Member

Nice! Best of luck with the new truck!
  9. ajordan193

ajordan193 Senior Member
    from WNY

Nice truck I have its twin but an 06 with 50k on it. What did that truck set you back? Very rare to find these trucks with such low miles. Best of luck
  10. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

sweet should serve you well then. I heard you just gotta romp on them to keep them trucks cleaned out
  11. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

Very nice find. Truck looks extremely clean. I hunted for months trying to find a low mileage Cummins. Post more pics when you get them.
  12. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Thanks! Ill definately be sending you some pms in the near future if thats fine.

As for price it was right under 24k. Out of all of the trucks I looked at I felt it was a pretty fair price. It was almost half of the brand new window sticker price.

I do always have the thought that something might go wrong in the back of my mind being a 6.0, but it runs and handles awesome right now!
  13. jrtcbmw

jrtcbmw Member

Yeah by all means, let me know. I have a tendency to over learn everything about things (i know everything there is to know about the e36 bmw chassis, and im getting there with this truck. i do a ton of reading on these vehicle and have tons of experience tearing them apart and fixing them, everything from complete cab off head gasket installs, im up to about 5 in about a 1.5 years time, to in the garage injector installs)

These trucks are real work horses and will stand up to any abuse you throw at them, AS LONG as you take care of the truck. Maintenance is key on these engine. Make sure you have Ford or Racor Filters ONLY. and full synthetics. And make sure to stay on top of fluid changes. these trucks and especially transmission love fresh fluid. Good ideas for preventive and helpful "upgrades" are coolant filter and external oil filter (like the FS2500). Anything to help keep your fluids clean. Another big thing is to get rid of the Ford Gold Coolant Junk, that is the source to main engine issues these engines have.

Just let me know. PM me and ill give you my email so when you need help or have question i can answer them better.
  14. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

That is a beautiful truck and a really good price for the mileage.
  15. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

real nice truck good luck with it
  16. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

I don't own a Ford diesel, but know a couple that do, am curious as to what coolant you recommend.
  17. jrtcbmw

jrtcbmw Member

To be honest when i posted that up, i completely forgot what to use, i went my shop to look and had all intentions of posting up when i got back but got side tracked.

I recommend and all of the other powerstroke guys recommend Cat ELC coolant. The main reason ford guys want to get rid of the gold coolant is because of silicant in coolant and it breaking down and clogging up the oil cooler. once it gets flushed and cleaned out, put the elc in and the truck is golden!