1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new (to me) truck purchase?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by loomis, Jan 31, 2004.

1. loomis

loomis Junior Member

Im currently looking to make the jump from a chevy 1/2 ton with a 305 to a PSD powered f250. Im going to look at one this coming w/e. It is a 1999 F250 PSD, auto, xlt, 4x4, ex cab, keyless. The ad is for $14500. The truck has 115k miles. I think this is a good price and so does nada. I have a couple of reserves however, how much more life is in this truck, I know the older PSD's liked to kill trannys, will this one? Is it a TorqShift? Can I chip this truck with the amount of miles it has on it? What price should i go for?And what should I look out for on this truck?

Any help would be much appreciated.:waving:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2004
  2. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

Forget the Ford, Buy another Chevy!:D

Tony

3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I've got the exact same truck that your looking for except mine only has 56,000 mi.:nod: I'll be selling it at the end of the snow season.:waving:

4. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Glad to see you are looking to move from a Celebrity with a lift kit to a truck!

5. loomis

loomis Junior Member

Celebrity, I have a K5 with a lift, but im not trading it. I cant get enough for it. To get this f250, my dad is going to buy my truck and Im going to be in hock for a few months.:)

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I work for a private ambulance company with all Power Stroke squads. We have many with over 200k on them and they still run strong! One vehicle is just a supply hauler with over 350k on the original engine. (it smokes a bit) The weak point is the transmissions in these trucks. You need to make sure it has a big pre-radiator trans cooler on it if it is going to plow snow. If it's an old plow vehicle be real careful, it could turn into a "Big Red Drain" like my truck.
    The truck also may never of had the needed services done to it too. You would have to play catch up to get it ready to plow. They may know the transmissions going too, sometimes they will give warning then go back to normal for a while. I have had a few die under me, the old c-6's (3spds) went on forever.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2004
  7. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

There is LOTS of life left in that truck! If it kills a tranny soon, replace it. The same with the engine (which ain't gonna happen, really). Go ahead and chip it if that is what you want too. My 5.4l is at 110k and it just now feels like it is breaking in.

That is my story- I bought this 99 F350 5.4 with 110K on it. It was listed for 14500 with a Meyer 8ft. blade and Buyer's salter (which is f/s BTW). I looked at the truck and told the guy I would think about it. Called him the next afternoon and said that my credit union would only loan 10K because of the mileage, but I really wanted the truck. He said O.K. 11K. I said how 'bout 10.5K. He said 11K. I said SOLD!