1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to me truck, plow question

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Shade Tree NJ, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Shade Tree NJ

Shade Tree NJ Senior Member

Picked up an 03 f350 the other day for a great price, has the 5.4 which is only negative. Has a western ultra mount, curious if my 9' pro plus would be to much plow for this truck? Use it now on anf550. According to western website, 8.5' is all that they recommend

2. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I think you would be alright. Buddies old truck was a 1999 f250 with the 5.4 and he ran a boss 8.5 foot since new and traded the truck with a little over 200,000 on it. However I think you snow out east is a little wetter and heavier than in the midwest.

3. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

I have an 02 f250 and run a 9' Snoway V on it with no problems. Your 350 will do just fine.

4. Shade Tree NJ

A lot of our plowing is at the coast or within a few miles so is typically a very wet heavy snow.

Not a V my plow... I assume 6" more than what recommended (want to use 9' pro plus) wouldn't be a big deal, just looking for some one who runs one, with or with out problems.

Wish truck had better motor than the 5.4 but price and miles with plow mount/wiring couldn't pass it up

5. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I think for the smaller storms you should be fine but and major storm you might me asking a lot from the 5.4

6. kurtandshan

kurtandshan Senior Member

What gearing? I have an 07 f250 with 5.4 and 4.10 gears run an 8.2 VXT. No problems

7. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

I have an 02 f250 with a Snoway 9'2" V plow.iThat 5.4 will push anything I put in front of it or pull behind it. I did upgrade the computer program with a tuner though. I had a 2 yard Salter on it last year also. Way over weight but it performed wonderfully.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  8. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I have an 08 I think the gears are 3.83 not sure the wet heavy snow is a pain but I'm also comparing it to my disels

9. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Been plowing with our 2002 f250 5.4 Since 2005 and it has a 9.5 Foot extreme v on it now, it handles it fine, and I am in the northeast where the snow is very heavy and deep. Sure it ddoesn't do nearly as well as my diesels but it holds its own

10. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

5.4 is a good motor you will be fine

11. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I agree I think you will run out of traction before power.

12. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Agreed!! I'm so sick and tired of people saying "its to small or if ain't got a big enough motor.". Its about traction and weight.

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Mount her up and go

14. Shade Tree NJ

Seems like a lot of V plows ran on it, mine will be using straight blade.
    Thanks for all the info everyone!

15. Shade Tree NJ

So a steel 9' western pro plus straight blade should be ok for the truck. Afraid that in big storms truck won't be able to plow all the snow with that large of a blade on a single wheel axel.

16. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

you wont have a problem. i plowed with my 2002 5.4 f250 with the 5.4 in it and we got hit with 32" of snow from nemo last year and i had driveways to plow that had not been touched at all. it was fine

17. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

i did use 4 low on the driveway bc it was a mile long but i didnt have it, just did it to make it easier

18. Shade Tree NJ

Not worried about the motor being able to handle it.

Concern is using a 9' straight steel blade on the truck, 6" larger and about 250lbs heavier then western suggests. Concerned about big, wet/heavy snow storms 8-9" +, and if truck could handle that big of plow.

19. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

My 2006 F350 5.4 has an 8.5 mvp with wings (makes it 9'). No problems pushing, stacking, etc. worst case, you can put it in 4lo, but then it's like driving a tank. I carry about 800lb of ballast/junk while plowing.

20. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i have no problem with my 04 5.4 powered F-350. if it starts to load up, i just take less of a bite.
    but that only happens when it gets around 24 inches deep on roads that have not been plowed yet.