1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new to me mvp.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by snowbuster1, Dec 16, 2015.

1. snowbuster1

snowbuster1 Member

I just purchased a mvp ultra mount. The guy said it was gonna be due for a new rubber cutting edge in the center. Where can I find that part at to see what I'm looking for. Also thinking of repainting where is the best place to get a full set of decals? Thanks guys.

2. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Google western plow parts and you'll get 10,000 plus hits. As for decals, email Western, and they'll send them to you for free.

3. snowbuster1

snowbuster1 Member

Ok I haven't picked the plow up yet waiting for him to get the stuff off his truck. So there is a 3 piece cutting edge on it? The steel wing edges and a center rubber edge?

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Yes sort of. Sounds like a old unit. The the center piece is a bad design. I forget but I thought they (who?) offers the much improve 4pc kit. Western might. (Old age, memory)

5. 1olddogtwo

6. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yes, if it's an ultramount MVP it would be at least 12 years old approx, and in between the cutting edges would be a big gap, and then there's a rubber flap that mounts on steel brackets, that spans that gap to catch the snow in the middle.

here's a link to the center kit that shows what it's like:
    http://library.westernplows.com/pdfs/63522_021005.pdf
    the sets of wear bars would include the two edges and that center kit.

Like that other thread says, those brackets wear down to the bolt holes and the rubber falls off when there's still quite a bit of edge left.
    But like that thread doesn't mention - if you look at the brackets that the trip springs attach to on the back of the blade - that will also be getting very close to the ground.

As far as I know Western doesn't send free decals anymore. At least they don't give them to us anymore. There is a part # 28548 for an ultramount decal set that's about $25.

7. snowbuster1

snowbuster1 Member

Ok this might be a dumb question but when they figure the widths on a v plow do the measurement at v or when it is straight or is it the same?

8. 1olddogtwo

Straight...

A 9-6 is 9-6 in any straight mode.

9. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

10. snowbuster1

snowbuster1 Member

Ok I really wanna get the plow home. I have a three plug straight blade iso wiring on my truck now. Will the same up and down pins work for the v plow by chance?

11. mishnick

No I you can't raise a v with straight blade wiring. You will have to jack it up and high chain it or replace the control harness with an MVP version.

12. snowbuster1

snowbuster1 Member

Alright I got the plow home. I feel like I didn't get hurt on it. I ended up with a bracket off 07.5 Chevy and the light harness. A 05 ford bracket and light harness. 03 dodge bracket and light harness and 2 4 port iso mods. And 1 set of receives and the 8' 6" ultra mount mvp for $1600. Now the question is will that 4 port control wire work on my 3 port?

13. mishnick

You can use either a three or a four port isolation module with your plow. The only stipulation is that you need t have a four port style headlight harness. The three port headlight harness is a single cable shaped like a "Y" with one long leg and one short. The four port headlight harness kit comes with two separate cables, one long and one short. The fourth port in the module plugs directly into the module fourth port whereas the three port module has an adapter that allows the control harness to connect to the headlight harness at a little black four pin plug.

So to make it simple.... you can use the four port module as long as you have the four port headlight kit for your truck, no problem. They are still available but a bit harder to get because all new installations use the three port so nobody keeps them in stock, you will probably have to have it ordered in.

Just to get your terminology right.... I think you have two "four port isolation modules" and a "three plug plow."

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  14. snowbuster1

snowbuster1 Member

I have a 3 port iso on the truck. I was running a 8' 6" ultra mount straight blade with a 3 plug. I was hoping g the control wire would swap from a 4 port to my 3 port. That way I don't have to worry about the light harness.

15. mishnick

The control wire is the same on four and three port modules. But you do need the adapter #29047 which connects the control harness to the headlight harness.

16. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i emailed western months ago got no response

17. snowbuster1

snowbuster1 Member

Ok so had time today to look over my wiring on the truck. I was going threw the stuff I got with plow and found a 29047 brand in the bag. It looks to me if I use that solenoid and control wire and power wire it would plug in to my 3 port mod. So where does the 29047 adapter plug in at?

18. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

Might wanna go to a dealer ?

19. mishnick

29047 adapter..... Look at the control harness. It has four legs, one goes in the cab to the handheld, one goes to the grill plug, one goes to the solenoid and the last one has two fuses, a multi-pin plug and a single pin plug. On the 4 port system the multi-pin plug would go directly into the isolation module but on a 3 port isolation module the adapter plugs into that multi-pin plug and then into a four pin plug in the headlight harness. Look at page three of this link: http://library.westernplows.com/pdfs/29206&29225.05_050108.pdf Just a bit up and to the left of the isolation module it shows the adapter, just look for the word "adapter" and you will find it.....

Make sure you connect the wires at the solenoid correctly. Hooking up the small wires wrong can fry your controller. There should be one small wire on each of the two small lugs. One big wire on each of the two big lugs and a second, small wire, on the always hot big lug.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  20. snowbuster1

snowbuster1 Member

Ok messing with the plow today and I plugged in control harness and the single pin plug with the back and orange by the module are two male ends. Am I missing something?