1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new to me duramax

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by VLbuildsIN, Apr 9, 2014.

1. VLbuildsIN

VLbuildsIN Junior Member

Hi, new guy here. My name is George, I own a small construction company in NW Indiana. I've been lurking around for a couple years and finally have a reason to post with my newest truck.

2. VLbuildsIN

VLbuildsIN Junior Member

Im just a tease I guess, can't get the pictures to upload off my macbook

3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Welcome...

4. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

make a photo bucket account upload pics to photo bucket then copy the img link then paste in to post.

5. VLbuildsIN

VLbuildsIN Junior Member

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

6. VLbuildsIN

VLbuildsIN Junior Member

There we go! Thanks DareDog. Just bought this last week. It's a 2006 Chevy 3500 DRW(obviously). Duramax automatic. 271,000. Little bit of rust on the inside of one door, but in good shape for a work truck. Needs some new front seats and some mechanical attention. Glow plugs aren't working and has a code for low fuel rail pressure. Any advice would be great on those issues. I think the glow plug control module is bad but I will check all of the plugs before I spend any money on a module. Just finished cleaing up the body yesterday and have some stainless simulators coming today.

7. VLbuildsIN

VLbuildsIN Junior Member

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

8. VLbuildsIN

VLbuildsIN Junior Member

Here's my other truck, also a 2006, bought this last year. Its really clean for the miles it has(173,000). This one has the 8.1 BB. I call it Thirsty. I put a western wideout on it this year and it did well. So, what to do? Currently I'm a one man show, do I switch things over to the diesel and sell the gasser? Keep them both? The black truck has been really good to me besides the gas bill. I have a friend who has one with 340,000 miles so I know it has a lot of life in it. But I got a great deal on the diesel, I am leaning towards keeping both and maybe adding a plow next winter to the white truck.

9. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Keep both, always good to have a backup

10. VLbuildsIN

VLbuildsIN Junior Member

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    bringing home the truck after I got the plow installed. At the gas station, a big blocks natural environment

11. VLbuildsIN

VLbuildsIN Junior Member

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    another one

12. VLbuildsIN

VLbuildsIN Junior Member

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    random pic from this season. Snow drifts pretty good at this account.

13. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

Both nice trucks. I would keep both if you can.

14. VLbuildsIN

VLbuildsIN Junior Member

thats what I'm thinking. more pics coming soon

15. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

isn't the wideout great?

16. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

On your P0087 low fuel rail pressure code,there's quite a few causes for this MF*%#@$%^ happening.I went through a living hell this Winter solving my issue.I would STRONGLY suggest to change out EVERY flexible 1/2'' supply line [there's 4] from the tank to the engine.My culprit was the 4'' one by the drivers side engine rear,of course the hardest one to replace.It will look round on the outside but inside the walls sucked together.Absolute garbage POS GM lines.Replace with good Cat hose or Parker.Other causes are plugged filter,filter pump/mount sucking air,pin hole in supply line[usually a rust through in the solid metal lines by a line holder],weak CP3 pump,and/or weak rail valve.

17. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

check with gm on the glow plugs, they replaced all mine for free last year on a 2003 ...

18. VLbuildsIN

VLbuildsIN Junior Member

just yesterday I went and bought some parker hose to replace the gm rubber fuel lines. In my google searches I found a TSB from gm, I'm hoping that will fix it but will check the other things you mentioned. The fuel filter looks newish from the outside, monitor says 84% on filter life.

19. VLbuildsIN

VLbuildsIN Junior Member

I'll check with GM, maybe I'll have the same luck.

20. VLbuildsIN

VLbuildsIN Junior Member

I really like it. I was going to go with a mvp but the guy I sub for talked me into a wideout. Last year I drove one of his truck with a 8'6" pro plow with wings, I like the flexibility of the wideout. Being able to shrink down to 8' is nice sometimes.