1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to me Chevy Plow/salt setup

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by gunsworth, Dec 13, 2008.

1. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

01 2500HD LS 6L. Had to swap on the Boss 7.5 (only has 2 light seasons on it) and the spreader from his other truck. Also have a Truck Craft dumper for it that will go back on in the spring.

Im new to Chevy's any thing I should check out on it?

[​IMG]

2. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Real nice ste-up...good luck this season!

3. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

our 02 has been pretty stout, gas mileage sucks. had to replace both window motor regulators and a blower motor resistor, cracked exhaust manifold. thats it pretty much. its just stupid little things that like to go wrong, nothing big really.

4. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

yeah the mileage was a tad disappointing. And I already started trakin down a resistor (figured that is what is causing my heat to not work below 3, had the same prob in my jeep).

I did think i heard an exhaust leak so I will have to check the manifold.

5. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

The newer Chevy's, like the older ones, that I've worked on have all been stout, good vehicles. Usually just minor crap. Keep up on general maintanence (sp?) and you should be alright.

6. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy Senior Member

nice truck

7. PTSolutions

ya our heater would not work below 4. oh i forgot, we had a bad ac compressor, the turbine shattered and sent little pieces of metal all throughout the ac system. that was fixed for $1k.
    the resistor was real easy to change. the exhaust manifold was easy enough to change, its just that our oil dipstick was so rusted we couldnt pop it out of the block and it ended up breaking. make sure you change out your cabin air filter at least once a year, these tend to get really dirty on these trucks.

8. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

U may want to put some wings on that plow. A 7.5 is quite small on that ruck and ur tires like quite wide Im quessing 285s? I had an 01 It was a good truck never had anyproblems other then I could not stand the miledge an I have since switched to diesels and will never to go back to gas again.

9. fyerfytr

fyerfytr Junior Member
    from Iowa

Sweet setup, should last awhile...

10. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

Ill be looking at wings and a deflector once I get my December bills in (getting my business and truck insured at the same time put quite a dent in my cashflow). And yes they are 285s, this truck was never plowed with so the po threw on the meats. Since they still have a lot of life in them I will work with them for a while.

11. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

we have one just like it (2000) and the only bad stuff is the AC compressor, never fixed it because it's not like you really need AC for a plow truck...exhaust manafold gasket, and DRL, one never works....but you never see the light bc the plow is always on.....nice truck BTW i like the gas mileage, it's much better than the 454 that we have and it pretty much has the same giddy up and go....

12. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

Nice truck!

13. PTSolutions

ours is the 6.0L with the 4.10 gears (cant tow for crap with any higher gears on the 6.0) but i heard the 8.1L with 3.73 gears gets better gas mileage.

14. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Nice Chevy!

15. KubotaJr

KubotaJr Senior Member

Love those tires, what kind are they and what size?

Thanks

16. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

ya thats a pritty nice set-up nice and simple, that will make you the most money id say outa any other truck low over head for sure!

weve got a 98 chevy 3500 SRW utility, trucks is very nice simple the same old stuff gos like in every other truck, starter - fuel pump - brakes stupid stuff, but nothing special pritty cheap fixes also minus the fuel pump that was pritty rough!

weve got a 01 GMC dump DRW that is sweeet, i think i might ask it to marry me?

good luck!

17. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I have plowed with 315s,285, 265s 255s. No problems plowing with the 285s. Thats what I had on my 01.

18. Rangerman

Rangerman Senior Member

That 8.1 is worse weve got it in one of the 3500 and it gets about half what the 6.0s are getting. The dual exhaust with glass packs and k&n helped a little but it is a sucker.

19. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If I can find a deal on one of those over the summer I am going to get it. I think that is the best truck to plow with. I am a little sick of the bus I am using now. I like the color.

20. blm86

blm86 Member

nice truck, thats the exact setup im trying to put together now.