1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to me Boss RT3 questions

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Zigblazer, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Zigblazer

Zigblazer Member

I've got a couple questions about the plow. Just bought an '05 Chevy CC 3500 with a 9'2" Boss RT3 V-plow this week. I've never owned a V-plow before and am not liking it so far. The plow was put on the truck new when the truck was new. I've owned 4 plows so far, all straight plows. A couple westerns, a fisher, and a Leo. I've used several others before, but only one V-plow, and that was only for a day about 12 years ago. I don't remember having these particular problems, but I also only plowed a large flat commercial lot, and it was in an F-550 with a 10' V-plow. Anyway, maybe I'm doing something wrong, or need to find an alternate way of plowing, so here are the problems.

1. Plow doesn't want to float. My driveway is a half circle connecting to the road on either side of the crest of the hill. The main driveway is about 8 feet lower than the crest of the hill. I've gotten use to backing onto the road, and pushing the snow down into the driveway. This Boss seems to hold the plow up and miss a majority of the snow as I start down the hill. I've only plowed my driveway with it once, and the only way I could get it to scrape at all was to hold the down button. The Westerns had a joystick and stayed down in the float to drop with the ground. The Leo uses 3 way switches, with a detent down in float, again no problem. But this Boss handheld just has soft buttons, and down obviously doesn't float. Which brings the next point.

2. There is 0 articulation. The plow does not twist at all to follow the contour of the driveway. When I start down the hill the left side drops down first, and the left edge of the plow pulls away, leaving the right edge on the ground until the truck gets fully into the driveway. The 8'6" Leo that it is replacing had a lot of articulation built in, and was mostly worn out, so it stayed on the ground and scraped great. I sold the newer western 8' Straight blade I had 6 years ago with the '95 Chevy K3500. I don't remember having this problem with that one either, but I've adapted and found newer and better ways over the years and maybe I was doing it different then. I tried to drive up to the road and back drag down to get it, but then at the bottom I have the same problem going backwards. And that brings me to the third problem.

3. Back dragging is almost worthless. Next to my main garage is a short drive to a second garage that is offset right behind the main garage. The only way to clear the snow there is to back drag it out. I assumed that the plow would get pulled out, but all it seems to do is spread the snow out, and not drag much of anything back. I am hoping those with a V-plow can let me know how to get it to back drag the snow out.

4. Last problem so far is the center snow catcher was missing. So there is a gap between the blades. I ordered one and went to see how to put it on. It doesn't look like it will work. The holes don't line up with the pin and bolt on the bottom of the plow. The one bolt wouldn't hold it on plowing anyway. So either I got the wrong one, or the plow has been modified, or I'm just not seeing how to attach it.

Any ideas?

2. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  3. Zigblazer

Zigblazer Member

Thank you. That is the part I got. After some more research I think I found the problem. There is piece of steel welded underneath where the mounting bolt should be. I guess I just wasted the money on the new catcher. I'll have to fashion a new rubber one scraper when I get some belting for a wind guard.

I did find the owners manual, and figured out how to get it to float, which will help, along with being able to angle easier.

So that just leaves the articulation and back dragging problems.

4. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

The Back dragging will go better with having it in float. As for Articulation - it is what it is - If the plow is not all loose and sloppy it will not do as well. I had one driveway like that - I would have to plow it from both ways to get it clean.

5. Zigblazer

Zigblazer Member

Back dragging still isn't great, and articulation isn't going to change. I'm getting it to clear better, but it is taking longer. I haven't rechecked the blade angle since I got the new tires on, with front timbrens and ride height adjusted, but before it was at 18 degrees back from vertical. My old Leo plow sits at 7 degrees back from vertical. I think that could be the main difference for the back dragging. I will try to remember to measure it tomorrow once it thaws from the ice and is remounted to the truck.

New question. I got my ride height set to factory specs, and checked the push beam height. It is right exactly at 15.5" where it should be according to the boss install manual. However it is now about 2" too high to reattach the plow (before the plow sunk into the ice during the warm day). I noticed it barely cleared the mount when taking it off, before the ride height adjustments. Now I'll have to jack it up to get it remounted, and didn't have time for that today.

Is there another adjustment on the plow itself to set the dismounted height?

The only other adjustment I see in the install manual is for leveling the cutting edge. Would that change the mount height while disconnected?

6. Zigblazer

Zigblazer Member

By the way, I can see how the V plow would be an awesome thing to have doing most smaller residential or larger commercial lots. Being able to put snow exactly where you want it is helpful. Lucky for me, I can put it about anywhere. Plenty of space around at the places I plow.

The V hasn't been much help for me other than not having a large windrow along the side down to where I push most of the snow on my own driveway. It would get pretty high, and this time of year when it would start to get icy, the truck would slide into it at the bottom and be stuck. Now it isn't piled so high on the side, and last time I plowed when I slid into it, I wasn't stuck, I was able to drive out. That is courtesy of the V. Although being stuck in my own driveway isn't so bad, I can grab another truck and pull myself out easily.

I did help someone out a couple weeks ago that has a long narrow driveway with very few places to put the snow. It was much more efficient there. I would have had to make several more passes with the old straight plow there to get it all cleaned up.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  7. Zigblazer

Zigblazer Member

Took a look at it today. Figured out where the level should be adjustable at, it's not, it's been welded in place. Once I got it attached and on flat ground the ends of the plow weren't touching the ground. Unhooked and it was more than an inch too low to be hooked up. It had a 1.25" spacer blocking it up. Cut that out, and dropped it down to 1" and it sat at just the right height to hook up. Once hooked up it was almost flat on the ground. Hard to tell on the poor driveway I have. But it was a nice day to be outside anyway.

Looking closer I noticed this plow has been welded at almost every joint and bend. Some welds looked good. Some look like the first time I tried welding without any instruction. I think I'll be taking it completely apart this summer and rewelding every bad spot, and repainting the while thing.