1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to me Blizzard 810?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by frdtrckmnrich, Oct 20, 2010.

1. frdtrckmnrich

frdtrckmnrich Junior Member

So i recently purchased a used blizzard 810. This will be my first blizzard plow, i am excited to try it out. I was wondering if there was anything i might want to know? I was told it was purchased new in late 2004? I will be plowing with a 95 f350 crew short diesel?
    Suggestions? Comments? thoughts?

2. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Read the forums. Lots of info there.

Keep an eye on the pins for the angle rams. They tend to bend really easily. And thats really about it compared to other plows. Keep it clean and keep an eye on it as you go. I have 2 and love both of them.

3. frdtrckmnrich

Funny you say that about the pins.....all 4 were bent. But that was the only real dmage i could find. I have read that they have problems with the wings? Is this real common?

How have the electronics been for you all? I am a welder/fabricator so cracks and steel do not concern me. I just hope the electronics are reliable.

There are not many people in my area running a blizzard so the info i get from here is greatly appreciated.

4. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Stock up on the powerhitch switch. I seem to break 1 every season. Also check the bushings where it attaches to the truck mount. The pins slide through them. Mine were shot after 3 seasons. They are 62 bucks from dd... i had a local machine shop make a set on a lathe for 20 bucks.

Id also suggest a manifold flip. After changing a blown hose at -20, u will wish u had flipped it. I can change a hose in 5 min now after the flip.

5. frdtrckmnrich

What is a manifold flip?

6. fci

fci Senior Member

try looking up Jerres in Erie PA for the manifold flip they do alot of modifications. www.jerres.com

7. cuba

cuba Junior Member
    from Toronto

of all the expanding plows, which one is the best

8. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

There's a reason why Blizzard was purchased for the DD umbrella ;)

9. cuba

cuba Junior Member
    from Toronto

Whats DD and why. Is the 8100 a good blade and is it very durable. Do the wings break or jam alot??

10. cuba

cuba Junior Member
    from Toronto

i now know what DD is

11. maelawncare

Lets just say blizzard invented the expanding plows. nough said on that point.

And as long as you are mindful of the wings you will not have a problem with them. Just dont hit things hard with them out.

12. My76f250

My76f250 Senior Member

In my experience with blizzards...i plow streets with one on occasions and sometimes if you catch a manhole cover it likes to blow the actual plow mounting pins out of the truck mount....i lost 4 or 5 last season

13. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Not the original Blizzards. I have heard that about the new mounts.

14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

DD is the short form for " Douglas Dynamics". They own Western, Fisher and Blizzard.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  15. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

We run 3 pre DD 810's. They have been very productive for us. You need to make sure you don't hit curbs real hard with the wings extended out. The wings were made to be the weak point so you don't destroy the whole plow. I do not agree with all the people that are reinforcing them. The other thing to watch is the hoses. They rub on the A frame and will blow out. Just inspect it after every storm and you will be all set

16. frdtrckmnrich

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions/ideas. It is greatly appreciated.

17. frdtrckmnrich

So i am mounting the brackets on the truck, how high should the pushbeam be from the ground? Right now i am around 18 1/2 inches to the center.

18. maelawncare

I believe it is supposed to be 12" Check the manual, cause i think im wrong lol

19. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

We didn't mount ours, but I remember hearing 12". Not sure if its to the center or just to the bottom of the push beam.

20. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

12-14 to the center of the hole.