1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to me Ariens Thrower

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mayhem, Feb 6, 2009.

1. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Just picked up a free Ariens ST824 snow thrower. Our facilities guy said it was used regularly at one of our offices when it had a full time maintenance guy, but hasn't been run in a year, maybe 2. 24" 2 stage thrower with an 8hp motor. It turns fine, but no spark according to him and the bearing on the right side wheel is pretty sticky. It has an electric starter so I'll plug it in and run the starter to see if its just hard to start or if its got a busted plug, or if it needs a new magento (do they use magnetos still? Sorry my small engine tech knowledge is way down there).

Its about 15 years old or so...old enough that the only plastic is the gas tank...chute, levers, worm gear, even the trim plate between the handles are all steel.

Anyone else have one this old? Common problems with easy fixes or a can of worms? Where do you guys like to go for small engine parts and blower mechanical stuff?

2. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

The gear other half of the worm drive is brass, its a weak point just so you know. You have to get the older ones with a ring and pinion type set up to get all steel.

the ignition systems on these are easy maybe just a little rust on the flywheel or coil pick up or the condenser(behind the flywheel) may be bad either way its cheap and easy to fix any airens deal should be able to set you up with any part you may need

Airens is one of the better designed machines out there (from a repair and durability point of view) you will do well with one of these machines

3. keitha

keitha Senior Member

Check the plug. Could be as simple as the safety key is missing by the choke.
    Here is the ariens site, you can download a manual for your machine
    http://www.ariens.com/
    This site is an excellent source of info for the engine side of things
    http://www.perr.com/phpBB3/

4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

blower

probably some thing simple ,check for spark .might be a bad condenser .my ole man picked up a while back ,it just stopped and never got used after that all that was wrong was the drive belt was shredded and the condenser was bad it was made between 1967 and 1971 it looks tougher built than his new one . now he's going to sell the older two stage unit .electric start runs great .