1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to me 8.2 V steel - refinishing project

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by secret_weapon, Jun 12, 2010.

1. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

I bought an 8.2 V steel, with controller, mount and harness for $2k. Pump and motor were replaced last Feb. Has new cutting edges. It seemed like a fair deal to me seeing how it will need to be refinished. Here are some pics when I got it home. I will post more pics and updates through the process.

100_6448.jpg

100_6449.jpg

100_6450.jpg

100_6451.jpg

2. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Yep, get her refinished and that will be a nice plow for a real good price. And remember......fluid film is your friend so it never looks like that again!

3. jimz2500

jimz2500 Member

You will enjoy this blade ... I found myself lost at running a straight blade after having a V.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Looks like I'm not the only smart guy to keep extra long eye hooks in case one breaks.

How old is that plow?

5. secret_weapon

Called local dealer with whom I don't normally like and asked about age of plow with serial #.
    At first he said "wow, that's an old plow. Square headlight right?" I described plow and he told me it was 2001-2006. I said ok and hung up. Called the dealer that I normally buy parts from and said that plow is 2004.

I can definitely tell this plow was never washed off. After this is finished, a nice dip in the FF pool will be in order. The plow, not me.:nod:

6. secret_weapon

Started taking it apart. The horizontal pin was seized as you see it. Aparently it's been that way for a while. I'll have to weld 2 spots on the left wing. The lower support broken off and the next support up is cracked at the weld, Easy fix now with plow all apart.

100_6490.jpg

100_6491.jpg

100_6494.jpg

7. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

are you going to sand blast it or have someone do it all for you?

8. secret_weapon

I'm doing all the blasting and painting myself, I wussed out on the horizontal pin. I torched it and hit it with 10 lb. sledge but couldn't get it to budge. Took it to a welding/fabrication place and had them remove it. Truck under carraige is blasted and painted, but haven't started on wings yet.

9. secret_weapon

Started fixing the broken and cracked areas. I opted to TIG weld all the repairs instead of MIG. Better penetration than using my little 110v mig. I was going to do the sandblasting myself, but a friend hooked me up a sweet deal. Blast and epoxy primer everything for 175. Then all I have to do is paint it final color.

100_6521.jpg

100_6522.jpg

100_6523.jpg

10. secret_weapon

Painting!

Started painting everything today. 2 coats on and will do one more.

100_6570.jpg

100_6569.jpg

11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

looking good so far

12. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I did the same thing last winter. Its a fun project. I used a wire brush and some heavy duty paint stripper I got from Menards, and had the wings stripped to bare metal in 2 evenings. If you call Boss and tell them what your doing, they will send you a FREE decal set. They did for me and it was very nice of them.

13. Greg-NWO

Greg-NWO Junior Member

Cool project, looks great so far.

14. secret_weapon

Thanks!

I will give Boss a call on Tuesday, Thanks!

Thanks!

15. secret_weapon

Called Boss today, they are sending a bunch of sticker! FREE!

16. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Nice job man! Looking good.

17. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

And u doubted me..... congrats

18. plehmann

plehmann Junior Member

thanks

that is exactly what we needed thask

19. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

Great job! keep us posted on the progress!!!

20. secret_weapon

I got busy with everything else I forgot to put up more pics! Here is the finished product. I did not get a chance to put all the new decals on.

plow1.JPG

plow2.JPG

truckplow1.JPG

truckplow2.JPG

truckplow3.JPG

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011