1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to me 2500HD

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Tracy89, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Tracy89

Tracy89 Senior Member
    from Maine

Finally got a bigger truck. No more messing around with half tons for me. The last one had a bad frame and ended up rolling a frame rail. Picked the specimen up for a good price about a week ago. Needs a little bit of work but nothing major. Plan on putting some bed liner on the rockers before they get bad and oiling the frame. It has the big 8.1 liter paired with the allison automatic trans. I think it will do just about anything I wish.

2. Tracy89

Tracy89 Senior Member
    from Maine

Couple more...

3. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 Senior Member

deff a nice truck. gmc are very powerful trucks. i plowed with a 2500hd 6.0 and it is a tank. so that 8.1 should be a monster plus a gas lover lol
  4. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Nice truck!!! I love diesels but i have thought of getting another gasser as they are much cheaper to purchase but, the 8.1 is the only one to get IMO. Great power and you still get the bullet proof Allison. As far as gas goes, the 8.1 is noted for the same if not little better mileage than the older 6.0's due to the 5th gear in the Ally. Other than the 8.1 i would stay with a diesel. My 1500 with the 5.3 is a turd for power but i drive it to keep the miles off my diesel and it gets almost as good mileage as the diesel. But for plowing it is just a spare truck just in case.
  5. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

nice truck
  6. Tracy89

Tracy89 Senior Member
    from Maine

Thanks. I find that the fuel mileage is not really that terrible. Its not nearly as bad as i thought that it was going to be. I love the truck and your right the tranny seems to be pretty bullet proof. Shifts very nice and smooth. I want to crank the torsion bars to get it to sit a little more level but other then that i think it will do me just fine for plowing and towing. I would rather have more truck and not use it all then to not have enough truck and over use it. Thats really what made me want this one. I think i might also upgrade my plow size. I hear of alot of guys putting 9 footers on trucks like these....but im not sure...any insight?
  7. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 Senior Member

You can deff get away with a 9ft handles like nothin
  8. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Nice rig ! that truck should handle a 9 ft just fine.
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

At least a nine footer for the crew cab
  10. oldbluehairhemi

oldbluehairhemi Senior Member

Nice find! always liked that body style 2500 for some reason.
  11. Hambrick & Co.

Hambrick & Co. PlowSite.com Addict

Nice. I had that same color and ext cab in an 05 2500hd. Worked well for me.
  12. Tracy89

Tracy89 Senior Member
    from Maine

I thought it was a great find really...only gave 6500 bucks for the thing. I really like. I leveled it out today by cranking the torsion bars. Looks pretty good. Just need to do a couple more things to it. Would like to get a visor for it, put some bedliner in it and on the rocker panels and just some little more aggressive tires. Just personalize it really.
  13. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Sounds like a good deal! Congrats man!

8.1's are know for their oil consumption, so keep an eye on it. Otherwise you should enjoy it!
  14. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

You did good. Does'nt look like it has any rot except for the bumper.
  15. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Nice Truck & Good Luck With That !!!!
  16. S Ziegenfuss

S Ziegenfuss Junior Member

Have a 2003 2500Hd with 8' Boss presently have 245-16 on it what shoudl i try to upgrade these tires to?
  17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

235/85 snows for plowing
  18. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

Looks really good! Welcome to the 8.1 club!:drinkup:
  19. Tracy89

Tracy89 Senior Member
    from Maine

I have always plowed with 265/75/16's and have never had any issue with traction. This past winter I didnt even run any balast in my 1500 and it did very well. Good to no that it will use some oil. I never knew that about them. I tried to do as much research as I could before I purchased it. As far as body rot goes there is none. Just a touch of surface rust that is gunna get fixed well before winter. So far all I have done to the truck is crank the torsion so the truck sits level. My next project will be the rockers and the rear bumper. I also believe some where in the process of all that I need to get my plow on it...Ill keep pictures rolling as i progress.
  20. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Nice gauges...oil pressure is at 40, tach at 0, voltmeter at like 6, and fuel past empty