1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to me 2500HD...where to start?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Blacksmith Cycl, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Blacksmith Cycl

Blacksmith Cycl Junior Member

I recently scored a 2002 2500HD. It does have 195,000 miles, but his truck runs, drives, and looks like a low mileage truck! It was a parts truck at a dealership where my wife used to work and was METICULOUSLY maintained. I have a folder of maintenance records/repairs about 4inches thick that starts with the origional window sticker! Regular oil changes with synthetic oil, etc, etc.

The only reason I was able to get the truck was because I stepped in **** and got it cheap. I could never afford to replace it and I want to make it last another 200K miles. Also..with all the snow we are having here lately I have been doing a lot of plowing. If something major let go it would be tough to come up with the time and $$ to get back up and running.

Since I just recently bought it, and don't know much about the particualrs of the 2500HD models. Do you guys have any tips, tricks, or common problem areas specific to this truck? If you recently bought one what would be the things you would IMMEDIATELY check, service, or modify?

A little on my backgound....I have been working on and off as a mechanic since i was a teen. I currently own a small motorcycle shop complete with welding, machine, and fabrication capabilities. If I was to farm out any work, it would probably be more of a consideration of time (how busy I am at the shop with customers work) or if the job really required a lift to do properly. There is really not much I wouldn't tackle my self. BTW...I am not tryin to come off as cocky. I just figured it would be easier for someone to make a recommendation if they knew what I was realistically capable of. Also..I am currently running a Western 8' Pro /Unimount.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I had an '02 2500HD for awhile. Loved the truck but did have some problems with mine atleast. Check the brake lines for rust. Mine were very rusty at 90K miles. My e-brake was rusted really bad as well, so that got replaced. Had a water pump let go as well as the 4WD button and actuator (which seems to be a very common issue on these if you don't have a 4X4 floor mounted shifter). Check the u-joints, ball joints, and every suspension part just to make sure. My O2 sensor went out. I had a lot of small problems with mine, but I knew what I was getting into when I bought it. It had been a landscaping truck before me. Good luck with it and be sure to post any issue you have with it on here and these guys will be able to help out. They are a wealth of knowledge and have solved so many problems for me. Welcome to Plowsite!

3. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Make sure to add the frame gussets, get a set of timberns for the front. My 02 I never had any issues with. I always made sure the oil was changed and just kept up on the regular main. on it. These trucks are known for break lines rusting.

4. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Welcome to plow site, you can do a search on the chevy forum and read some of the topics talked about and how to fix them, off hand the only thing I can think of is adding gusset plates to the front end to help the frame from breaking, the search forum will cover that also, nice find and best of luck to you.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

As mentioned, frame gussets. Synthetic fluid in trans, transfer case, both axles, power steering.

Use a [1] - [R] - [1] - [R] shift pattern when plowing.

Fluid Film the entire bottom of the truck.

6. GSORK

GSORK Senior Member

Is it Gas or Diesel?

7. Blacksmith Cycl

6.0 gas
    No such luck on the diesel.

8. 2004chevy2500hd

2004chevy2500hd Senior Member

post some pics and welcome aboard!

9. Blacksmith Cycl

Thanks for the welcome!

Pics? It's not much to look at. Big, white, and has a red plow on it. It's pretty much a fleet truck. I have a good powder coater that I use for bike parts and i will probably powdercoat anything that is metal and visible a satin black, Wheels, bumpers, etc. I always had a thing for the "tough" look of plain jane "black and white" cop cars.

The damn thing runs so nice that i may just sell my car and put the money into the truck. Some stuff practical and some stuff cosmetic. One of my mechanics used to do high end stereo installs so i may have him do a nice stereo system. Nice for me though means something better than FM radio that recieves the one station in my area I can stomach listening to.

I have plans for some custom bumpers with a front and rear reciever style winch mount. I have the winch from a Jeep I used to 4 wheel and I have most of the steel stock on hand. A headache rack is on the list too. I will probably work on some custom motorcycle mounts and tie downs for picking up the occasional customers bike. i am considering an electric slide out style lift that pulls the bike up into the bed of the truck.

Tomorrow I am going to key in on some maintenance stuff. Earlier tonight I noticed that the rear muffler mount slipped out of the rubber donut. I think I hit it on a snow pile last storm and may have to do some re-aligning. Although I am considering cutting the exhaust off after the cat and running a single side outlet. As it sits now the truck sounds more like a sewing machine than a small block chevy! Then I am going to disassemble the plow and check for wear, cracks, etc. I noticed that the kingpin is a little loose and there is an adjustment for it in the plow manual. I plan on stopping at the dealer and getting/ordering a tray for a second battery and upgrading all the battery cables, plow pump power cables, and the main charging wire from the alternator. I want to incorporate quick connects that will work with the plow in front and the winch and a set jumper cables front and rear. I'll probably make the quick connect the same for all three. The plow dims the lights pretty good and the response seems a little slow so I am figuring that a second battery and upgrading all the main cables should help.I want to change the hyd fluid as well.

We have the possibility of a 3 day storm this week and I will probably be able to clock 20 or 30 hours. I want to make sure I don't lose out due to lack of maintenance.

10. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

Blacksmith,

for a guy who said he won't have the cash to fix anything you sure have a lot of extras you want to put on the truck.:jester:

Look up and install frame gussets if you don't already have them my 2002 got them at the factory. Don't waste your money on a "factory" dual battery kit, just look up then follow the instructions here. Make sure to buy two new batteries and your truck and plow will love you for it.

I doubt you will have many rust problems as dealerships are pretty good about regularly washing their fleet. I think standard fluids are fine if you keep on top of changing them, I ran standard ATF for the first 175K miles on my 2500hd with no problems but twice yearly changes.

11. Blacksmith Cycl

Actually...most of what I listed above won't cost me much. I have a bunch of steel stock at the shop. I used to do Jeep bumpers for myself and friends so I have a small stock pile of square, rectangular, etc. For the headache rack/ light bar I plan to do it in round tubing. I have a bender with 1 5/8" dies and a length of 1 5/8" tubing for that.

The stereo will just be a cheaper unit with a CD player.

As for the dual battery I plan on doing that myself too. I read the sticky on it and got a ton of great info. The only thing I will source from the dealer is the tray and hardware. I could easily make a tray myself, but for the 30 or $40 the dealer gets(for an application specific bolt in part) it would be silly for me to spend 2 or 3 hours fabbing and painting a tray. I also have some nice fine strand battery cable in different gauges.

The only thing that will cost any real $$ is the bike loader and I will probably wait until spring for that.

As far as washing goes the truck probably got washed AT LEAST once every 2 days. the dealership actually had it's own indoor car wash!! From the quick look I took underneath it is rust free. It really is suprising how clean the truck is.

Thanks to everyone for the help/feedback so far!!

One question for you...how do I know I have the frame supports? Where are they and what do they look like?

12. RMHSR

RMHSR Member

Do a search on the forum and you can find pictures of gussets. If you have them they would have been added (not a factory item). As far as your exhaust. If you go a cat back single pipe prepare for the truck to be crazy loud. Something about the 6.0 is very loud without a muffler. I can appreciate a loud truck from glass packs or flowmasters but the 6.0 with exhaust mods are annoying. Depending on what type of customers you have, middle of the night plowing may not be appreciated with a loud plow truck. (Been there) Good luck and enjoy your new toy, I mean tool.