1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new to me 2000 Chevy 3500 SRW

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Grotonems5, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Grotonems5

Grotonems5 Member
    from Vermont

Just picked up this truck today. Has a 5.7 350 in it and runs great, has some dents but not much rust. Was a local metal fabrication shop truck. Has a fisher MM1 plow setup with a hinky Northern Tool Haldex plow pump and control setup. I'm hoping to replace the blade with a 9 footer and either rewire or replace all the electrical connections with the correct Fisher parts.

Link to the pump/controls

2. ProLawn Outdoor

ProLawn Outdoor Senior Member

Nice OBS chev! I just picked one up as well(95 k2500 rc/lb,5.7), wish mine was that color though to match my 02 and not black. I like how those rims look, I wanna paint mine black because my rims are rusty and look like crap.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Looks like you have a little helper, she's small enough to crawl under the truck with a can of Fluid Film
  4. 85 Toyota 22R

85 Toyota 22R Member
    from IL

clean truck bud!!
  5. Grotonems5

Grotonems5 Member
    from Vermont

Thanks guys, ya my little helper is my daughter, she is 21 months this month, man they grow fast! I'm sure she would have a blast if I gave her a can of fluid film, but not sure if she would get more on herself or the project at hand!
  6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Cool truck. I'm surprised how clean it is, unless it's not originally from New England.
  7. Grotonems5

Grotonems5 Member
    from Vermont

I bought it from a local body shop that took it in trade from a local welding shop, has been in VT all it's life to the best of my knowledge. Has 126K on it.
  8. Grotonems5

Grotonems5 Member
    from Vermont

More pictures with the plow on

9. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

nice backdragging edge
  10. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

That is a really nice obs Chevy.
  11. xjsnake

xjsnake Member
    from NW Ohio

Nice Chevy. Looked into getting one of those Haldex units to graft onto a Snowbear I've got sitting around but thought I could just get a different (stronger) plow cheaper.

BTW I'm not a Chevy guy, what's OBS?
  12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Truck looks good. They are a great truck.

OBS= Old Body Style
  13. xjsnake

xjsnake Member
    from NW Ohio

Ah, that makes sense. I'm a jeep guy so I'm more used to having the 2 letter codes for body styles. Slowly learning the Fords as my father keeps buying them and giving them to me to work on.
  14. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

I have seen "OBS" and "NBS" in use on Ford forums/threads too.

It was an acceptable naming convention when web forums were new, but it is unsustainable and unfair for long-term use. If we keep OBS meaning 88-98, NBS meaning 99-07, and NNBS meaning 08-??, the GMT1000 series will be called NNNBS, the next will be NNNNBS, ad nauseum. If we shift the names to be accurate, where "NBS" means the latest body style, it becomes impossible to search effectively; when you search for "NBS headlights" you'll get two different series.

IMO we need to abandon it in place. Existing series should remain called OBS/NBS/NNBS. New series should be called by the code the manufacturer uses; in this case, the new GM series will be GMT1000 and that's what we should call it. That preserves searchability while deprecating that awful system.
  15. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

My 07 is a NNBS, most 1999 are OBS. 2011 are GMT900 but different from 2010 GMT900 so what to do.
  16. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, there are "Classic" and new styles during the same year for each time the style changes. The series number keeps that issue clear, as does the "*BS" system.

And yes, there are also changes during a series. I wasn't aware of the 2010-2011 GMT900 (NNBS) changes, but 1999-2002 GMT800s (NBS) are different from 2003-2007 GMT800s (NBS). They're still similar enough that you can do most of your research lumping them in together. Besides the obvious front end body parts, the only major mid-NBS changes I can think of are headlight wiring and radio wiring.
  17. Grotonems5

Grotonems5 Member
    from Vermont

I always looked at it this way... You have the year (2000) then OBS or NBS in this case OBS. So if someone said oh I have a 99 NBS it meant you had the aerodynamic front end etc etc newer style, if you said 2007 OBS that would mean a 2007 Classic and 2007 NBS would be the new style etc etc, so you just need to have some knowledge about the vintage. They used to identify them by generation ( Gen I, Gen II, Gen III etc)
  18. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

In 2000 they made the K2500 and 3500 GMT400 like your truck but they came out with the new Silverado 2500 as well. I have a 2000 K2500 according to the title but the build date on the door sticker dates it as a 99, which makes buying parts fun. Great looking truck, wish mine had the 350 instead of the 454 I could use the 3-4 extra mpg's
  19. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

Nice looking truck, i Have one of its sibilings:)
  20. Grotonems5

Grotonems5 Member
    from Vermont

I saw that, yours looks a lot cleaner!