1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to Liquids, need help with Hydrometer

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by LakeCountySnow, Feb 16, 2015.

1. LakeCountySnow

LakeCountySnow Junior Member

So we have been thinking of adding liquid to our arsenal next winter to cut down on our salt usage next season and have been mixing up Brine and Calcium pellets. My question is, I purchased a H-B Durac salt brine plain form hydrometer, 0 to 100 % range off Amazon, and today it came in, with no directions. I have been mixing brine is a 5 gallon bucket for weeks and have been testing it on walkways and am quite impressed, we have also added 1 g liquid calcium mixed from 4 lbs pellets to 10 gallons brine. however when i started testing the solutions we have been mixing, 2.4lbs per gallon hot water, i cannot get the hydrometer to read 23%. in a 5 gallon bucket with 6lbs 15oz of salt, mixed for 10 min with a paint mixer my hydrometer reads 70%, am i missing something? in plain water it reads 0% I have been following this site for about a year now just watching what everybody states about liquid, and would like to make a sprayer this summer, if the walkways turn out clean and melted this winter. but i want to make sure my information is correct. any help or ideas would be appreciated.

2. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

First of all it should NEVER read 23%. NEVER!

Your hydrometer measures the " percent of saturation of sodium chloride in water", NOT by "% by Weight".

The reading your are looking to obtain on your hydrometer is 88.3% @ 60F.

Second, your hydrometer should only be used to measure your salt brine with no additives.

Third, if you want to measure your liquid mix of calcium chloride,(not mixed with salt brine) you need a different hydrometer like: http://www.novatech-usa.com/Products/Specific-Gravity-Hydrometers/6603-6

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  3. Kubota 8540

Mix your salt into your water, then check the temperature of your water. Next use your Hydrometer and check the reading. If your water is 60F then the reading you are looking for will be 88.3% on "your" hydrometer. If your water is below/above 60F you will need to do some adding or subtracting of the reading on your hydrometer.

Mix your calcium pellets into your water. Here's a chart: http://www.liquidcalciumchloride.com/Literature/ProductInfo/LIQUIDOWProdInfo.pdf
    This should give you the pounds per gallon you need to know. Then use your 1.000 to 1.600 Specific Gravity Hydrometer (http://www.novatech-usa.com/Products/Specific-Gravity-Hydrometers/6603-6 ) to measure the calcium chloride mix. You need a reading of 1.322.

Then by volume mix the calcium in with your salt brine.

4. LakeCountySnow

LakeCountySnow Junior Member

thank you kubota, we have been mixing the brine and calcium separate. So my original question was reading the hydrometer, and Im still a little confused. does the 88.3% mean that the solution is 88.3% saturated with salt? if thats the case what does 23.2% mean? because everything that i read is saying to add 2.28lbs salt to 1 G water and once at 23.3% stop mixing. Am I using the wrong Hydrometer?

5. Kubota 8540

Yes, 88.3% means just that.

This might help? http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=161187

You can use the hydrometer you have, as long as you use it to measure the salt brine only. The reading you should come up with is 88.3%. That is the reading for % of saturation.

If you were using a % by weight hydrometer your reading would be 23.3%.