1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to liquid

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by 90plow, Apr 9, 2012.

1. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

I recieved an email from one of my newer commercial customers with a link to a liquid de icing web site or advertisement. The problem we had this year is with the calcium it would track in the offices and make a mess if we had just some light ice or snow it wouldnt dissolve the calcium pellets completely and drag into the office. I would like to get into liquid calcium for my walks even if it means a pump sprayer. I would also like to setup my dually with a pretreat setup with the pvc pipe on the rear of the truck. Any help is appretiated. Should I go liquid calcium or salt brine?
  2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Do lots of research, you will find salt brine is cheap and effective, but it depends on temps. Do a bunch of searches, there is lots of info out there. I have been SLOWLY getting ready to add liquids. I finally found a sprayer setup used this spring, all I need now is a boom and switch for the electric valve. So we should be ready for next season. Depends on local availability too, for us we hav a supplier about 45 minutes away, the opposite direction of our clients, he is a distributor more so than a dealer, do I wouldn't expect him to be open at 2 am. Will only deliver in 5,000 gallon loads, but I can pick up smaller quantities. So I had to acquire a storage tank as well, he advised against going to TSC or the like because the stuff is so heavy (14lbs/gallon) their tanks are designed for water, I was able to stumble upon a 8,000 gallon fiberglass brine storage tank, he said it should of cost about $.65 per gallon, definitely not what I paid for it.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  3. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

I dont have much room at my house for a storage tank so.... Ive been looking into just a small unit for my dually for now. Been looking at using those storage tank totes with the 2" valve on the bottom for my tank and just looking for the pump. Does anyone use just gravity feed or is there just not enough head pressure to get that to work?
  4. ndnchief

ndnchief Member

Search postings from Kubota 8540 a wealth of knowledge....He has answered many questions like yours and many people that have commented on his postings have great answers too....You can learn much as I did from these postings....Read all you can first...then ask questions about what you cant find or don't understand....There are many postings to choose from and many pics for ideas....many people use gravity systems as well as pumps on here..... good luck
  5. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Thanks will do.
  6. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

There should be a ton of pics on the site, search and search....
  7. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Been searching and reading alot of the older posts very informative.
  8. pabaker66

pabaker66 Senior Member

Kabota wa a great information source for me. I sent him many emails and private messages and the were all answered and responded to very quickly. I have since built 2 truck mounted units 1 being electric and the other being gas. he also gave me step by step instruction on how to make the brine for both sodium and calcium.