1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to Liquid Deicing

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by I RocDuP I, Dec 9, 2015.

1. I RocDuP I

I RocDuP I Member

Hey guys I have a few questions for you. Ive worked for the same guy for the last 5 years now and he recently just gave me a proposal. He asked me if I would consider putting a liquid deicing machine in the back of my truck. Said its an all electric setup. I have a 2015 F250 Gas 4 door, with a 8' Hiniker in the front of it. Can this truck handle the weight of it, how destructive is it compared to a regular spreader, and what is adequate compensation, per hour or gallons applied?

2. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Can't tell you about how corrosive it is first hand. But I get 20.00 per hour more when I'm salting vs. plowing. Don't know if this is the norm though. And you'd be using HIS equipment, correct? He might not pay you more per hour at all if this is the case, but you would probably get a lot more hours, so it would still be beneficial to you.

Edit: After reading Brian's post below, I would also add air bags in the rear if I were you. I added them for mine as my spreader weights about 3,500 lbs. when loaded. It helps A LOT.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I can't help you with pricing but I would think you'd get more. As far as weight goes our liquid weighs right around 11lbs per gallon, we run a 300 gallon tank with a Sotterra electric pump and with the tank full, platform everything weighs in around 3700lbs. We run that set up in our 06 F250 with beefed up rear springs and a 8.6 XV hanging off the front. I'm sure it's over loaded, at least for the first few stops it makes. Off topic...what are you getting for fuel mileage in that truck, our 2016 is getting 9.5-9.7 thanks
  4. wenzelosllc

wenzelosllc Senior Member

Typically it should be less corrosive as long as you're not spilling it all over when you are filling the tank.

As a sub I don't know what to charge but, at the seminar I went to on this topic last week, most guys were getting around $100/Acre and that's averaging about 20gal/Acre.

Not sure how your guy runs things but usually liquid is applied before storms so you may be getting about a third more time in for application then follow up with regular plowing. Post treatment is common as well and could add a few minutes to each site, depending on size.

I have the SuperCab version of the 2015 and I get about 12MPG so far. Mostly highway use though.
  5. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

We run these Gas Sprayer setups in our trucks with 275g totes and have had no issues with weight staying local to accounts. I run a 2009 F250 Quad C Diesel with leveling kit front and rear. It squats some when tote is full, but the goal is to empty it on site and make some $$ :drinkup: Then re-fill if needed. You should be fine not going over 300g in that truck and taking it easy.

As far as compensation goes, if its his equipment then you should be getting paid the same as you would to spread salt, but pushing a button to drop liquid. You are going to average around 100g /acre compared to 600-800lbs of Rocks Salt per acre

As far as corrosion goes, I see no difference if you wash the truck after every storm top and bottom, we use FLIUDFILM on out equipment underneath before every season, also spray blowers every storm, it really helps to protect.

Hope this helps:D

2014 Sprayer Build.jpg
  6. AG09

AG09 Senior Member

Did you build this set up or buy it?
  7. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

We build our own setups and help out local contractors looking to get in Liquids in the MD area. We don't promote on this website, but feel free to PM me if you have any questions or check out our deicepatrol website.
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

How can you say this without knowing what liquids he will be using?

What if they're using mag chloride? Even calcium is far more corrosive--spilled or not--than sodium.
  9. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

This is true. Our first year using liquids we ran a cocktail that had more calcium and the back half of one of our truck frames looked 10 years old. The stuff we use now has a corrosive inhibitor mixed in and is not as hard on the truck.