1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to ice/snow in the mountains

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by dwaldon1955, Nov 2, 2005.

1. dwaldon1955

dwaldon1955 Junior Member

I have no idea what the best way is to keep my very long, and in places, steep gravel road worry free this winter. I've been told that plowing is not good for gravel. Down the "hill" with a snow blower would be fine, but I don't think that I can make it back up the hill with a snow blower. I had been thinking about brine, but I've also been reading on the forum that that is not good either. What, please, what should I do ???????????????
    Thank you for your kind consideration and swift responses :help: confused:
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

first, I would recommend a V-plow on a 3/4 ton 4+4 truck. as for the gravel, use the shoes(skids), adjust so the cutting edge is just off of the gravel. then after the ground freezes you can raise them all of the way up ,so you can scrape off the packed snow down to the gravel.

I don't think the gravel can feel any thing??? the gravel will be fine!:jester:
  3. Highland Ranger

Highland Ranger Junior Member

How long is the driveway?

Some of your choices are:

1. Snowblower

2. ATV/Garden Tractor with blade

3. Garden tractor with snow blower

4. Light duty pickup / SUV with homeonwer grade plow (Snowbear)

5. Heavy duty pickup with full blown plow setup

6. Have a contractor do it

what you select depends largely on whether you have a ATV or garden tractor, a pickup, what your budget is, etc.

Gravel is not an issue - you can adjust height on all of these and when the gravel freezes it tend to stay in place.