1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new to ice melt service and need some input!!!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by clc2007, Dec 30, 2011.

1. clc2007

clc2007 Member

i am new to the ice melt service, no one in my are offers it and customers keep asking about it so i went and picked up a new curtis fast cast 300 to start off with i realize its not the greatest but dont want to spend big cash on something that dont pan out. i will be spreading bear melt and my cost of that is $4.50 per 50 lb bag. so i am looking for some help, im not sure when to salt!!! i can figure out how to price the service thats no issue. my thought is whenever it is wet and going to be below 32 deg i will salt the following am before store hours?
  2. agurdo17

agurdo17 Senior Member

we salt a lot of places after we plow as they like bare pavement.
    Warm day snow melts and then that night it gets cold.
    If we get a half inch of snow we will melt it with salt.
    When its cold and cars have driven over the snow compacting it making it slippery.

Easiest way we go out every morning weather it snows or not. Check to see if it is "liability" slippery and if it is then salt. If you are contracted to salt at your discretion then remember you are liable.
  3. clc2007

clc2007 Member

I have no ice melt in any of my contracts, that is good to know thou. So my thought process was prety much right?
  4. agurdo17

agurdo17 Senior Member

personally its either in the contract that its salt as needed or salt upon request.

upon request meaning they call you when they want salt and that's a pain. they always seem to call 20 min after you pass by their account.
  5. bharkness

bharkness Junior Member

CLC give me a call I can help you with your question about over nite icing.

Brad Mich Chloride St Louis MI. 800-286-7312
  6. clc2007

clc2007 Member

Thanks for all you help brad, ill be sure to stop in and see you.