1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to Ice Management

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by 4SeasonsOutdoor, Sep 17, 2009.

1. 4SeasonsOutdoor

4SeasonsOutdoor Junior Member
    from mn

I've been plowing for awhile now through a sub, and want to start getting my own accounts. I have one problem, and that would be ice control... this is what I need to know:
    1. How to bid salt and sand
    2. Where to get it in MN (Twin Cities area)
    3. Do I need bigger truck to haul this stuff (I have 2500 Chevy Silverados)
    4. What equipment works the best
    5. How much area does the salt/sand cover? For instance, say there is a dusting of snow at an average sized gas station. Approx. how much salt and sand would I need?
  2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Have you tried the search function?

It's an amazing tool.

After you're finished reading about the middle of October or so, then ask more questions.
  3. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Nawww..thats to hard
  4. rnblase

rnblase Senior Member

For salt coverage figure about 500 to 1000 pounds an acre I use 900 pounds an acre. Some will tell you that is to much per acre, I have done allot of testing and I keep coming back to about 900 lbs an acre as a nice coverage. As for as what to charge for salt? I don't know what salt goes for in your market but in mine it is about 150 to 200 per ton.
  5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

LOL Mark, the search function... Who'd have thought... Or even reading just a little further down this forum...

4seasons - Suppliers for bulk in the cities are few and far between, but those that have it tend to be fairly reasonable, in the $70/ton range. Suppliers for bagged are a bit more plentiful, and pricing on bags quite reasonable. Seldom do we end up spreading more than 800lb/acre and 600-700 is fairly realistic for the average around here. Heaviest I've ever spread in this area is 1500/acre, and that's when we had that accumulating sleet crap that froze up an inch thick solid about 6-7 years ago, jeez what a headache I get when I think back to that one... :dizzy:

Sand bad... Salt good... Get it? Don't be a statistic, we have enough idiots that don't "get it" around here that refuse to get with the times and insist on wasting theirs and the customers time and money with sand... Offer sand/salt for an account that doesn't specifically request it and you'll get passed over quickly. :nod:

Do you need a bigger truck? Who knows, we don't even know how much deicing you're talking about, much less how much material, what you're using to spread it, etc. If you're playing with 15 acre properties, you're probably gonna want more than a tailgate spreader on your 3/4 ton... ;)

What equipment works best? See above...

What to bid, go higher than you think, way too easy to underbid salt... Most suppliers are getting their salt on barges up the river, and they wont stock more than they think they'll use. So if supplies run short, and you don't have a stock pile, you're gonna be paying a lot more than you think...
  6. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

I like the units thus far...going into third season...but think those cheesy plastic covers should warrant a more durable cap though.