1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to hiniker

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by beanz27, Dec 6, 2014.

1. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

So I've had Western, and now Boss plows previously, but I'm looking at getting a truck with a hiniker on it now strictly for a back up truck.

Only thing is I'm not familiar with these plows at all. The truck I'm looking at is something a current client owns, that used to plow their properties with it, she says "it just stopped working" and that s about the only info I have on the plow at the moment.

I drove the truck a little bit today, it has some issues, but I played with the remote while I drove it. Seems if the power is on, the controller has a green light that stays on. If I hit the joystick any way, the light goes down to a very very dim light. The plow is not on the truck, this is just the truck. Now I put a different battery in the truck when we went over there, and the ground cable doesn't have a clamp on it, it's busted off apparently.

I'm assuming it could just be something as simple as that ground, but I'd like to look at the plow a little bit and see what I can find out. It's an older plow, anything special to look at with these things?

Off the top of my head I'd guess the Forks for cracks, other then that just your typical plow stuff like fluid, connections, pump for obvious signs of failure etc. Anything specific to older straight blade hinikers?

Thanks guys!!:waving::waving:

2. pinepointe

pinepointe Senior Member

depending on the age of the plow check the fork for sure. The older plow mounts had some issues, they redesigned the fork around 05. I have never had issues since then. If it is a v plow check the alignment bolt that sets the vertical alignment on the blade they had a tendancy to come loose, if it does it will not contact the pavement at the right angle

3. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

If the forks aren't broken there isn't a way to tell if they are weak. They're either broken or not...once/if they break you can tell if they had been cracked for a while.
    nothing really worth noting if it's smaller. If it's a bigger abused plow check the main hoop for cracking.
    Do you hear the solenoid click? Controller should turn orange when it's floating. Could be a bad controller or a bad joystick which are known to go bad http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Way-Repla...Parts_Accessories&hash=item418cfe6b97&vxp=mtr .