1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to hiniker and plowing, quick question??????????

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by dyllan78, Aug 10, 2010.

1. dyllan78

dyllan78 Member

I am new to the industry and have been plowing for two years now. I have an 8' poly straight. I havnt had anything go wrong yet, just wonder if anyone could tell me a few things that i could buy just incase something were to happen. What breaks most often and what should i stock in my truck. Where i live there isnt much snow so when it fall i really dont want that plow not working.

2. poolboy

poolboy Junior Member

Make sure to step on the ram to compress it BEFORE you unhook the electrical when dismounting the plow. If you don't the frame will fall forward when you back out and it will be harder to mount.

The only part I have replaced so far has been the solenoid on the pump. I guess it is kind of a common thing after a few years of use.

Great plows!!

3. dyllan78

dyllan78 Member

thanks for the response, i thought i made a mistake by getting a hiniker but they seem like really good quality plows. i read about some issues with the forks breaking off. should i order a spare or just leave it alone since its only an eight footer.

4. poolboy

poolboy Junior Member

I wouldn't spend the money on the extra forks. You shouldn't break them unless you hit something REALLY hard and even then you might be ok. I have some hard hits on my plows and have never had an issue with them.

5. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

maybe spare hose and fluid as well as a solenoid

6. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

The Boss or a Western! :laughing:

7. blee1ash

blee1ash Senior Member

Spare hyd. hoses, extra hyd. fluid, and a solenoid. Make shure to be gentle when connecting electrical plugs, so as no to to break of the small pins inside the connectors.

8. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

The small electrical pins are the only down fall....

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  9. addictedtolands

addictedtolands Junior Member
    from NY

Personally I have two of them, bought a V originally then added a scoop last year. I must say truthfully I love them. I agree completely with the ram being completely pushed in, expereiced this nightmare a few times, and the only other issue I can see are the pins. This seems to be the weakest link so to speak. If they were to change this set up around and add some durability, I surely think they would have it made. I have owned fisher, sno-way (V's are junk, wings fall right off) western, and boss (loved it, first V I ever had) and I honestly think the hinikers are on top. The blade mirrors a boss, and the ease of mounting is amazing, the angle for rolling snow is wonderful. I would buy another without hesitation.

10. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

I read some where, maybe on here, that someone replaced broken pin connectors with a standard 7 pin camper plugs. Sounds like a good idea if it really works. Might need one set for lights, and another for the plow controls.