1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to Forum

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by govols, Feb 19, 2007.

1. govols

govols Junior Member
    from NE TN

Hey guys!
    We are located in Bristol, TN (yes the fastest track in Nascar). We are just getting into the plow business. We operate a full service landscape firm -- our larger commercial accounts all want us to remove snow instead of other companies that we were subbing out to do the jobs. I was wanting to get info about setting up one of our Chevy 2500 HD with the 6000 v-8 4*4. We are limited to only Meyer blades since it is the only blade sold locally (within 75 miles). Any advise would be helpful.

Thanks
    Tim with LawnWorks of Bristol, LLC

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Since you starting with a heavy duty truck to begin with, their isn't too many thing's you'll need to do to it in order to get it ready for the rigors of plowing. Depending on whether the truck already has either a plow prep or a towing package it may already be "set up" for plowing but the primary thing's are a transmission cooler to keep the tranny alive as plowing snow with an automatic build's a tremendous amount of heat in the tranny, and a good high quality battery and maybe a high output alternator to keep the plow and truck electrical system's up and running. As far as holding the weight of a plow,on the HD's merely turning up the front torsion bars a few turns and adding a set of Timbern's will be all you need to carry the plow without any trouble. Since your limited to a Meyer plow and it sound's like you'll be doing mostly larger, open area's I'd run at least an 8.5 ft blade, maybe along with a set of wing's. Don't worry,the truck will take the weight.

3. govols

govols Junior Member
    from NE TN

B&b

Thanks for the info. I have the tow package that has the tranny cooler but no snow plow prep package. I think i am going to get an 8' blade because we do alot of high end residentials as well.

Thanks
    Tim

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Glad to help Tim, Nothing wrong with an 8' blade.Good all around size for commercial and res. In fact you could just add a set of pro wings to your 8 footer when your plowing the larger commercial areas. Personally, I like a bigger blade AND a set of wing's. Most of my accounts are residential and I use an 8.5 ft blade without any problems. In fact, I plowed with an 8 foot for years before upgrading to the 8.5. Heck, I'd run a 9 footer on it but it's a 1/2 ton truck!

5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

the hd package has most of that stuff in it i would go with c 8.0 blade on classic mount i would not invest to much in high tech equip

6. govols

govols Junior Member
    from NE TN

Thanks for the info guys.

7. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Welcome and good luck!--B&B is right on with the info he gave you! Only thing I could add is a good set of back-up lights for doing the driveways always helps!