1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to forum

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by asphaltwarrior1, Jan 27, 2014.

1. asphaltwarrior1

asphaltwarrior1 Member

New to forum, but not really new to plowing. Although it has been years since I last ran a plow truck, I'm confident it will come back rather quickly. I am purchasing a plow for personal use, and on occasion some light commercial. My buddy has a commercial plowing business and could use someone to plow his residential accounts so they are not waiting till last minute when he is done with all his commercials. Gonna start off with my Durango with a 7 1/2 foot Fisher SD or the HT. Not decided yet. many upgrades planned for front suspension and also braking. Lots of good info here and basically this site has been a part of a years worth of research.

2. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome .... you sure about using a Durango? Can it handle a snow plow? ... Good Luck / Rick

3. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Some years are rated to have the SD so we will see.

4. asphaltwarrior1

asphaltwarrior1 Member

Fisher says mine will take the SD. If you go to Fisher's quick match and look up the Durango for 2001 and the Dakota for 2001, the Durango has a higher GVWR. I know there is alot of talk about structural support for the Rango's front end, but I plan to combat that with suspension upgrades as well as braking, and some sort of brace to strengthen up between the frame rails. As far as drive train it's the same engine, trans and rear end as the 1500, and the same trans was also used in the 2500,3500 so I'm told. It's got the bullet proof 45RFE not the 44, and I think there was a 46 that also had issues. Not to mention the motor in mine is new and so is the trans. The other owners I believe had the trans replaced as well as the engine under warranty. Older retired couple that had two Rangos, and this one hardly ever got driven.