1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to forum and have a question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 1700Rider, Sep 14, 2013.

1. 1700Rider

1700Rider Junior Member

Hi, new to forum though I have visited many times to get information. Thought it was time to join. My question is about a truck I just bought which is a 2003 GMC 2500HD ext cab. I have an 8' Western unimount pro on my Dodge and would like to use it on the GMC. I have a chance to buy a truck mount from a 2002 Chevy 2500. Will it fit? Thanks for any help.

2. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Yes it will fit. You may have to trim a small portion of the top of the mount to clear a bracket on the frame.

3. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Depends actually. Is the 02 a 2500HD or a 2500?

4. 1700Rider

1700Rider Junior Member

I don't know, but will find out. The 02 mount is out of my state or I would just try it.

5. 1700Rider

1700Rider Junior Member

I found out the donor truck is an HD, so a little cutting or welding is doable here. Thanks Western1 and 2006Sierra1500 for the responses.

6. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

It will work for your application. Good luck!

7. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

hmmm. actually it should depend on what version of the unimount kit the guy has (63360 or 63360-1). If he bought the kit after the '03 chevy's were out (the end of 02), then you should be ok. but if he got it before that, he would have the older version (63360), and it won't work on the 03-06. There was a change in the bumper, so the kit had to be made to extend the plow further forward. If you put the older kit on the '03, you'll find it will bolt on there, but then the plow lift frame will hit the bumper.

8. 1700Rider

1700Rider Junior Member

I am beginning to think I would be better off to sell the Unimount setup off the Dodge and look for something else complete for the GMC.

9. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

Nice ultramount straight blade or MVP...

10. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

and you didn't ask about wiring yet, but the 03-06 chevy takes all different wiring than your Dodge would have on it, and it's not available new anymore.
    -oh and welcome to the forum!

11. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

Depends on where ya live i know 2 places that still have new harness in stock for sale for the unimount...

12. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

I don't believe that is true. I have put both mounts on all trucks 99-06 and the only issue is the old mount on newer 03-06 trucks where you have to trim the top of the old mount. I have both mounts side by side at my shop and the newer one doesn't put the plow out any farther than the newer version. Just my 2 cents.

13. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

hmmm. interesting. .. well that's the way I remembered it anyway. ... let me do some research....

14. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

now that I look at the pic I don't remember having a problem with the earlier version. you're probably right western1. but in my notes on the parts record I did put '2003 GM trucks have a change in the bumper. Have to use 63360-1 kit instead.' so that's the impression I had back at the time anyway.
    but on the other hand we know the ultramount kit changed and moved further forward, so wouldn't the unimount kit have had to too?

15. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

I found the official word from Western's service bulletin back in 2002 (sp-750)...

'Also, due to changes to the bumper on the 2003 models, some modification to the 3529 and 3525 vehicle mount kits is required for fit-up. The 3529 (P/N 67981) UltraMount® kit can be modified to fit (see Service Bulletin SP751). The 3525 (P/N 63360) UniMount® kit will not fit 2003 models. This mount kit has been revised and will be available late August as P/N 63360-1. The model 3515 and 3519 mount kits (for 1500 GM’s) are not affected.

16. Holland

Holland Senior Member

The Ultramount kit changed but I'm using an 02 mount on my 03. Yes i had to trim more of my valence off, but other than that it fits fine.

17. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yea, but like that bulletin said, the older ultramount mount could be trimmed per service bulletin sp751 to work on the 03, but it said the unimount mount wouldn't work. If it could be made to work by just notching off that little bit on top of the mount it seems like there would have been a bulletin showing how to do that.

so yea... it's confusing. let's just say anyone putting the older 63360 (non -1) on an 03-06 2500 may run into some problems, and should try to find a 63360-1 off of an 03-06 instead. .. and again a 99-02 2500 with a mount on it could have a new style kit if the mount was bought after late 2002.

18. Holland

Holland Senior Member

O for sure. And even tho the 02 mount has been working id still like to find an 03 bracket. The used plow I bought came off an 02. I didn't do the proper research and just assumed everything was the same. Not trying to argue with what your saying, you definitely have a better line on info than I do! Thumbs Up

19. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

no problem, holland dude! thanks.