1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to commercial plowing....

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by beanz27, Dec 22, 2012.

1. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Well I found this site, and I'm amazed at how much knowledge is here. I know what your thinking, another 19 year old. I don't know it all and I realize it, so I'm mature enough to realize that lol. Anyways I've been pushing snow with machinery for 7-8 years, and the last 2 years with plow trucks, this year I've started working for a commercial snow removal company in Mankato MN.

They use trucks with 3 types of plows (Straight blade, V, and C), and skidloaders with 8 ft snow buckets. I've been thinking of doing it myself for the last year or two, and I will probably start my own on the side next year, wanted to get experience first.

Anyways...my questions:

1. Which is faster/better for large lots, a large snow bucket, or a box pusher?

2. Large lots again, Skid loader, or Payloader?

3. For driveways and smaller lots, should I take the wings off of my straight blade?

4. As far as backdragging, do you need a backdrag blade to do it, or can you get by with just backdragging it normally?

Also, is there any specific DO NOT DO things that I should know about?

Edit:

My equipment:

92 F250 Single cab long box 5 speed 128,000 8.5' Western Pro with wings total width 9' 4"

93 F250 Single cab long box Auto 176,000 8' Western

I also farm, so I have access to large loaders and skidloaders etc.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  2. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

1. Depends, most cases pusher
    2. Depends, size of lot/detail work
    3. Depends, size of your plow/size of driveway
    4. Back drag blade
    Don't ruin customer's property, try not to ruin yours. And GET IT IN WRITING.

3. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

really depends on the operator. get er dunpayup

4. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Ok next question.

I'm planning on getting a box pusher, only thing I'm debating about is whether to get one for a skid loader, backhoe, or wheel loader? I don't NEED a pusher yet, I'll be buying a V plow first, along with a one ton, but considering I have the equipment, I might as well find a way to use it.

5. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

pro-tech for payloader, it is much heavier, if backhoe is big enough can still use it

on big lots the efficieny goes up with the loader, but you will need something for the detail work

6. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Well the backhoe is a Ford/New Holland 555E 4x4, otherwise the payloader is a JD 544B I believe. I can use skidloaders, or trucks for the close in things.

Next big question.

I've read a few posts about National companies, getting the vibe that I should stay away from them. I was contacted by Safegaurd Properties in early fall, but I turned them down, their contracts seemed bad. I have all liablity if something happens, they don't pay for a long time, and they want me to spread salt, shovel sidewalks, and plow for crap prices. So I'll stay away from them, is there any other ones that I should specifically avoid?

Also I've seen this SIMA thing a few times on here, I'm assuming thats the snow equivalent of say the NRA or something? Sorry, just new to professional snow moving.

7. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

SIMA is a professional association for the snow industry. I'm not a member, but there are a number of them on here, maybe they can chime in about what benefits you might get from membership.

I just posted a blurb in another thread regarding Safeguard:

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=142268&goto=newpost

You were wise to turn them down.

8. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

That was one of a few articles I read about them. I've been contacted by a few strip malls in the nearest bigger town near me, asking for bids, I've turned them away since I can't do it this year. Safeguard and one other company contacted me, I've turned both down. I don't want to offer a service to people that I cannot perform the correct way at this point in time.