1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to Commercial Plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by earthworkske, Aug 14, 2012.

1. earthworkske

earthworkske Junior Member
    from Ohio

I have been plowing residential for years and during the summer I install geothermal ground loops. This year, I have the opportunity to bid on a commercial site for snow removal. There are two heavy hitters also bidding. Where should I go to have the bid written? Attorney, website?

2. amitdhir

amitdhir Junior Member
    from Ontario

Generally you can make one yourself. Depending on a few things. What they require you to do and how soon they need it. You can contact them and ask them what they require such as 2" and above plowing or do they want you to plow regardless of the snow fall. Some properties are zero liabilities. They do not want to be sued so they require there properties to be clean and salted. Make one yourself. Thats what I did. You can search some up on this site. Theyre well made.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

They will have their own contract,so you'll have to go from there.

4. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

I looked at a few some things I liked and somethings I didn't. Make your's fit what you want. If you go to a shark ( lawyer) it will be a few hundred for one. At lest that's what it is around here. There a lot of templates on Google. And definitely call them to find out there deadline

5. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

if there are alleged big companies bidding then like GV said, they have bid specs just ask. When you get specs you can know what your bidding, otherwise it's like you don't know the lot. Narrow it down and post, we'll follow and help you.
    I don't service Ohio for all the conspiracy theorists

6. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

7. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

Yes once you know what your bidding but the customer should not dictate de ice, that your discretion. Take out that part.

8. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Why can't they maintain discretion?

What if this is what they want...

9. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

I believe because of liability. Say the lot has icy spots. The mgr won't call you for salt to save $ But who gets sued when someone has a slip and fall on that ice? You do.

10. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

We're getting way off the op's question...so I'm following the derailment.

I wasn't looking for advice...I was trying to figure out what in the world mpgall was talking about.

To address your response using his example, who on earth would sign a contract taking on that liability, when the client clearly wants to use his discretion on when to salt ? A simple addendum shifting liability is all you need to stay in the clear and get the work.

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

My contract has right in it ,you want salt you call me first before I do anything.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

No when they sue they sue everybody concerned. they will sue the owner, the managment company, the snow removal contractor, the driver, hell they may include the plow manufacturer, the materials supplier, etc. A properly written contract stating where responsiblitiy lies gives you the ammunition you need to get released from the litigation.