1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to Commercial plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wilsonsground, Jun 28, 2012.

1. wilsonsground

wilsonsground Senior Member

Hey guys, Ive been plowing residentials for years now and I recently picked up another dump truck and I want to put the dumper to use this coming winter. If we get snow! But my question is, people that have been bidding on commercials for years, how do you guys go about getting them? Over my years of plowing Ive gotten my residentials from "snow plowing" signs...

i know that isn't going to work for commercials. I'm pretty comfortable with bidding commercials, but looking to figure out how to go about getting my foot in the doors.

thanks guys
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Phone call,just call and ask if they are accepting bids for plowing. Some places want all year service ,so they need to be bid soon and they will cover next season landscaping. Or if they are single place locations ,just mail in a bid to them and follow up on with a phone call.
  3. wilsonsground

thanks for the advice. residentials ive always gotten from yard signs or my landscape contracts. but i want to put my other truck to full use this winter and would rather pick up a few small commercial lots.
  4. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I usually go in to a business establishment and let them know that I do snow removal. After asking a few questions, I will give them a price and leave several business cards. An established business will have someone that has been doing the snow removal. I then become the guy they call if the regular guy does not renew the contract or does not show up.
  5. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Sub contract the truck to put it to work.
  6. wilsonsground

No way Raul! Not unless I absolutely have to
  7. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

I just thought of that as today i was asked to sub contract lol. I also said no way!
  8. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I was a sub once got paid for season $15,000 it snowed once I was happy
  9. wilsonsground

15,000 for a season isn't bad. Never heard of companies paying subs like that in my area though.
  10. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

I agree with lettuceman, start doing some drive outs looking for commercail properties that fit your nich. Go in talk to them find out if they hire it out or if a PM company manages it for them, ask them who it is and if they could give you a contract at that company to talk to. Also don't pass up Subing yourself out there is nothing wrong with it as long as you are getting paid what your worth.Hell I am more than happy to sub my sutff out when we are caught up or if someone is in need of salting /sanding means more money in my pocket. This way you can get a better Idea on how to bid for the next season, where you place snow and why you place it there. Also so you can get a good idea on how long it will take you to do lots in simular size that caught your eye that you wouldn't mind going after the next year. .
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  11. wilsonsground

Thanks for the reply tpc. I don't mind subbing out, I'd just rather put the truck to work for myself as I know it's more money for myself. But you're right as I could sub it out if I'm caught uP on things. I never thought of doing something like that. I'm going to go around shortly and start going after things.
  12. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Yeah well it is a $30,000 month contract he needed a guy in charge who could Handel 15 shovelers 2 skid steers and me plowing I was in control It was a real pain
  13. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I see that your pretty close to me ( well not close enough that I have to worry by giving you advice at least :laughing:) But I have found that in our area the best way to get decent sized commercial accounts is actually to call Management companies. They are almost always accepting bids for most of their locations. It also gets your foot in the door next time they are looking for a bid in your area, they will remember you. I have had very good luck in my area (concord). If you are looking for small commercial places then calling them directly will help, but if they are good sized commercials almost all that I have encountered just use a management company.

Ive been through the Hollis/Brookline area a few times, I like it out there, very nice area. Seemed to me to be a very affluent area overall, right? You may have better luck than I do around here
  14. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

I just started out with commercial plowing the last few years and I like sub-contracting so far, but eventually I would like to go on my own but for now I am very happy with my situation.
  15. ANA Proscapes

ANA Proscapes Senior Member
    from NH

Alot of the accounts in our area are controlled by Managment companies. They will except bids from companies, but most of them have there favored company like Morins and all the other big companies in the area. You may be better off looking in to some of the smaller commercial accounts like restaurants or gas stations and stuff along those lines or just sub out for this winter to see what it takes to do commercial work. I think just about every one starts out subbing and then goes out on there own. Good luck.
  16. RDWheeler

RDWheeler Junior Member