1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to commercial plowing

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by TGM LLC, Aug 11, 2010.

1. TGM LLC

TGM LLC Junior Member

Hey all, I have been plowing for 2 years now and have a chance to quote a town house complex and have no idea on pricing it. I have been doing all resi and small business lots. Last year threw me for a loop and want to prepare better with quoting. Do you do 1-2" 1-3" 3-6' 6-9" ? how do you price salt by the pound? Square footage? I have an arial of the place so I think I can go off that. My equipment is 2 3/4 ton 4x4 pickups with plows 2 simplicity blowers, atv with plow Kubota diesel 4x4 tractor with plow and a JD 410 loader.

2. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Welcome to plowsite. Use the search button as most if not all of the questions you've posted on your First post have been answered over and over. Theres many ways to price accounts.......But my first question to you is...DO YOU KNOW YOUR COSTS? Figure out what EVERY expense for your plowing biz is going to be... once you know that figure, that figure goes into an hourly figure......tack on your profit margin and bingo... you've got your rate per hour too charge... rates will vary by region but as the contractor you should be shooting for $100+ per hour for plowing...... I think I've got you started, lets see if others will chime in...
  3. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

You need to know your cost, but ALSO & just as importantly your market pricing. If you can't figure a way make the two work together there is no point in knowing either. We would all love to run out & buy brand new loaders & pushers each year to plow a Walmart but your cost would be so high no one would hire you. In reality some Walmarts are probably done with trucks & maybe a undeadicated loader showing up to help.
  4. TGM LLC

TGM LLC Junior Member

Thanks for the replies. I feel like a fish out of water but I guess its all a learning process. Here a a few more questions.

What do you get for the following
    1. 8-9 FT plow per hour
    2. salt per ton applied
    3. Bob Cat per hour
    4. snow blower with operator per hour
    5. 50 lbs. of calcium applied
    6. ATV with a plow per hour
    7. tri axle for removal per hour
    8. opening of parking spaces 2-5'' 6-10'' 11-18''
  5. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

use the search button as all these topics have been discussed over and over!
  6. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

pricing is all relative to your location and market and whether it is saturated with contractors or not, so asking about specific pricing is kind of useless here. If you're looking for times, then that's a different story, because servicing a 2 acre lot in NY, is generally the same as a 2 acre lot in Colorado, time wise, but specific pricing is too tough.

most guys I know bill salt either per trip or per ton.

and be careful using incriments when determining per trip pricing, just make sure you have a reliable source to go off of for billing purposes and that your customer understands how you are arriving at your figures.
  7. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

Im assuming you own all the equiment and your not renting any of it correct?
  8. TGM LLC

TGM LLC Junior Member

I own everything except the tri axle and the bobcat. I use kubota and JD loaders.