1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to commercial plowing question?????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dyllan78, Feb 6, 2011.

1. dyllan78

dyllan78 Member

Ive been plowing commercially for 3 years now and I want to know if im using my truck the right way so i dont kill it. Where im plowing we also have to plow as little as one to two inches. What gear should i keep it in when im sweeping the street like that. Ive been leaving it in first and going slow, but i hate going slower now so im wondering if its going to heat up the engine too much leaving it in first gear and steppin on the pedal. would it be bad if i put it in regular drive or in second gear.

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

In small amounts of snow up to about 6 or 8 inches, I just use drive, and reverse in 2 or 4 wheel drive depending on conditions. If it starts to get deeper than that, then I suppose I haven't done my job, in keeping the customers opened up, and I would drop to 4 low, and reverse, and drive.

3. dyllan78

dyllan78 Member

In heavier snow do you pop it in 1st gear or do you still run on reg drive?

4. dyllan78

dyllan78 Member

What about 2nd and 3rd gear?

5. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I'm pretty much always in drive, with overdrive off.

6. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I never drop down out of drive, The only thing I change is my transfer case.

7. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 Senior Member

I've always plowed in drive. I suppose the truck hits 2nd gear but that's probably it. I don't think there is really a need to keep it in first.

The only thing do as a habit is get the truck moving a bit before dropping the plow.

8. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I never really thought about that, I do it everytime but it seems like its good to do. I back drag from a complete stop though.