1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to Commercial HELP

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by onebadplowtruck, Oct 15, 2009.

1. onebadplowtruck

onebadplowtruck Junior Member

Just looking for some advise from the big guys on here wesport about how to grow in this industry without a back pocket full of personal connections.... I seem to keep running into brick walls and its getting frustrating!! :realmad: i have 13 trucks that want to work and 3 pieces of heavy equipment and have had no luck finding decent work for them. thank you for your time guys, any help is much appreciated
  2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

first off, i am not one of the big guys on here, i run a 3ton with a blade, a cat loader, a couple skid steers, and pickup trucks, that is it. it sounds like you need to network more, talk to all your (family, friends, acquaintances, clients, next door neighbors,etc ) about wanting to get into commerical snow removal (don't be pushy, but come across as sincere), hand out buisness cards, hundreds, thousands if need be, if you are talking to a store manager, doctor, dentist, chiropractor, fuel provider, or just a buisness you frequent a lot, and mention that you are looking for larger commercial contracts, most of these contracts get done this way, and,,,,,,most important thing, when you get a bigger contract, treat them like gold, managers, executives, etc all golf and drink at the same places, and they talk, so if one guy goes "i hate who i have for snow removal this year" and you placed a call to your client earllier that day to make sure your snow removal the night before was good, they remember that kind of thing, and pass your name around. i hope that helps
  3. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

You have 13 trucks???? Do they all have plows??? If so you could be in alittle trouble being its mid Oct and your asking for help now. The only thing I see you doing with all that equipment and no jobs is to lowball the crap out of other plow guys. Not trying to bust your butt but everyone trying to get started in this line of work will cut prices to get work.
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Kind of late in the year to be getting accounts, but keep trying.
    Something may turn up.
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What part of Buffalo? Calls for driveways are just coming in now ,so each truck should be able to do 25-30 drives a night .
  6. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

when i got started in the biz about 25 years ago, i got hooked up with a good company as a subcontractor, then expanded from there, but be careful, i hear alot of horror stories about guys getting burnt, i'm lucky, these guys always paid me and had alot of work available for me, good luck
  7. onebadplowtruck

onebadplowtruck Junior Member

jimspro, ive been plowing for quite a few years and tried the sub contracting thing, i just like being my own boss and going out when i feel i need to without worrying about whether my boss thinks i should or not. And usually i can only find subcontracting work for 1 truck (me) but not for any more than that or i would use that as a stepping stair up the ladder of success
    grandview, elma west seneca area
    Scotts and hydro 37 yes i know its late thats why in frustrated because my efforts did not grand me the work i was hoping for so as a last resort in just want to know what i can still do this year and if nothing else know what to change for next year.
    And Scotts, i have 5 trucks and 3 pieces of equipment and 8 VERY good subs that know how much money i stand to make off them and want to plow that much more for me if i have the work because i let them use my 6000 sq ft shop whenever they need to. They are all guys whom ive weeded through to eliminate the slackers and free loaders. They are very loyal to me, so i call them my own. They dont want to be business owners, they just want to plow with their personal trucks (usually very built up and extremely well kept). thank you for all of your time guys