1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to Chevy Trucks!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mklawnman, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Well I've gone over the deep end, well not really, buying a 05 2500HD 6.0L with 70000miles on it. The guy used it mostly for going up north to the cabin with it and hauled some construction tools but nothing major. Had it serviced at a local dealership and it is very clean inside and out. New tires are on it Firestone Transformers. Drove it and rides like a car.
    Going to be putting a 8' Western Poly Pro I think, on it within the week, any recomendations on getting Timbrens while its getting the plow put on? I have them on my F150 and I think they have worked wonders was even thinking of getting them for my F250.
    Hopefully this truck last me awhile and makes me money year round. payup
  2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

get the timbrens for sure. will help out alot....she should treat you well. get some pics up once the plow is on. good luck this year....
  3. Thanks, yeah I will get pics up once I get the plow on it. Also gotta get the logo's put on the truck.
    Already have the Whelen 6 bulb 90Watt strobe kit for it, its all Black, looks sweet right now but will show the salt during the winter.
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Timbrens are a good idea...

And, if the truck still has the stock sized 245 tires I also highly recommend adding at least 3 turns on the T-bars to get the front of the truck up off the ground. Helps greatly with the plow mount height. :salute:

265's help but I still put a few turns in them just to get the nose off the ground as well as the truck leveled up a bit.
  5. I will have to look to see what tires are on the truck, I've talked to another guy who has a 06 with the Duramax and he didnt do anything to his bars and he runs a 8' 6" Boss V blade. I will definately get the timbrens and look into turning the bars a bit, obviously I'd lose the nice ride but hey its a truck. :cool:

Below is the pic of the truck.
    HOpe the pic thing works

truck 08.JPG
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

3 or 4 turns wont adversely affect your car like ride...so no fear there. :waving:
  7. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

Obviously you've never driven a 2500 with Timbrens. My '06 D-Max rides nicer and handles much better with the Timbrens. The progressive squishiness makes the front end stabilize much better than stock after dropping over a curb or other significant bump. It also cuts down on the sway while turning. There is only a barely perceptible harshness increase on normal roads that you might not even notice unless you are really in-tune with your truck's handling. Now that I've experienced the difference, I'd run Timbrens even if I didn't have a plow. Easily the best upgrade money I've spent on my truck!

My truck's ride height increased 5/8 of an inch with the Timbrens installed and another 1/8 inch with 1 turn on the bars for a total 3/4 inch lift. The front squats about 3/4 - 1 inch when I raise the new Boss Super Duty plow so it's right back where the factory had it to start with. I might turn the bar a bit more, but I'm going to wait until I've plowed with it before I decide.
  8. How many turns can you put into the bars? I put 2 in and my Western plow mount sits 7" from the ground, I dont think thats enough because my F250 is 9" from the ground to the plow flare. Was wondering if I would get 2 more inches by increasing the bars and adding timbrens.
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can only add so many turns as a means of adjusting the height. You'll first either run out of adjustment, or run out of suspension travel (at the shocks first usually) depending on the specifics of your truck. But 2 turns isn't nothing. On any GM truck with a plow I start with 4 and go from there. Timbrens are a wise investment as well.
  10. Thanks B & B and with some searching I figured out the problem, my dealer put on the plow mount that requires no cutting of the front valence, so with the plow on it lowers the clearance, I need to get the other mout from the dealer for my Ultra mount.
    I will look into putting in 2 more turns on the truck as well, but doesnt that affect the alignment of my front end?
  11. Heres a picture of the mount currently. I have about 7" from the bottom of the plow mount to the ground. Looks like I will be talking to the dealer in the morning about this to see what we can work out because Western has 2 diff types of mounts for the GM trucks.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes if you adjust them more than a couple turns you'll want to get an alignment done on it for sure.
  13. k&j Landscaping

k&j Landscaping Senior Member

Just put a western ultra mount with a 7.5 poly on my 05 gmc hd. Added timbrens and 5 turns on bars and truck sits real nice with about 300 lbs. of ballast. Sits level with plow off. Could tell a big difference with t-bars turned up. Keep an eye on overheating as my truck overheated first time out and had to get the updated fan clutch from gm installed, not cheap. Snowing now in Cleveland, something to look forward too since Browns are a waste :) Did not get aligned as the tires are older and replacing soon. Have 245's on truck original from factory.
  14. We have had over heating for the first time and I am looking into getting the updated fan clutch, hopefully I can get that fixed myself as long as I have the right tools.
  15. k&j Landscaping

the gm part number is 15710101 for 4.10 rear end truck. Some guys say it is easy to change out but mine was pretty tough for some reason so just had it done.
  16. Can you get the clutch at a auto parts store or do you have to go to a GM dealer to get it? Im not certain what rear end I have in my truck, I just bought it from a guy last week, Ill do some digging to find out what it is.
  17. k&j Landscaping

I have seen it at gm-parts direct.com for 106.00 and change. Some guys have used Auto Zones extreme duty thermal fan clutch and said it worked fine for less money. I just prefer gm parts as much as possible but do realize you usually pay more for them. If gvw on truck inside door is 9200 then you have the 4.10s.
  18. Yeah I have the 9200 GVW on the truck. Ill check around and see what I can find for a clutch. Might have to check out that website.