1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new to Chevy/GMC

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Dawdy Services, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Dawdy Services

Dawdy Services Senior Member

I just got a 95 GMC with 6.5 in it if I start it every day its ok but if it sets for a cpl days it acts like it looses prime {the diesel in it is 2 years old} I had to replace the elc fuel pump under the drivers door truck sat for over 2 years put new bat in it and fuel pump and got it running. is their a check valve some place or something

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

New fuel filter and drive the piss out of with fresh fuel then start looking....

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Am I reading that right, the fuel is over 2 years old?
    Man you need to drain all that out. Diesel fuel starts to go bad after awhile. It starts to grow algae and that can clog everything.
    I'd say drain as much as you can, then as pat said fuel filter(s) and drive it.

4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, this!!

5. Dawdy Services

the fuel is so old it smells like kerosene and looks like it I cant believe how clean it is when i'm pumping it out tuck is running amazingly well on it I know crazy but it acts like it looses prime after a couple days of not starting it

6. joeyg999

joeyg999 Member
    from Kansas

I had issues with the filter housing on mine. Also there is a way to wire the pump on the frame with a relay to give it a constant 12v. It will get burnt out from to little voltage being sent by the o/p sensor.

7. Dawdy Services

So you are saying their is a check valve in the filter housing? And to put a relay in to run the fuel pump ?

8. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I would do what old dogg said before you screw with anything else.

9. Dawdy Services

I know nothing about the 6.5 can I install a remote filter and bypass the oem filter and housing?

10. joeyg999

joeyg999 Member
    from Kansas

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  11. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

If it were my truck I would get rid of all the old fuel out.Disconnect the fuel lines from the front of the truck and cycle the key on and off to get any old fuel out of the lines.Replace the fuel filter with a new one.Not that it has anything to do with the problem,but when was the last time you changed the oil?

12. Dawdy Services

Ok updates,,,,, changed oil, pumped out old fuel replaced with new,changed fuel filter did some troubleshooting with info I have found online but still no exact cause as of yet but did find after I had it running tonight that the return fuel lines need replaced that's now the next step ugggggg I'm starting to not like the 6.5 and the speedo don't work and the alt is not charging I guess that's what you get for buying a truck that has ast for so long