1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New To Business....Just Bought Fisher 7'6"

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by DodgeGuy18, Sep 29, 2010.

1. DodgeGuy18

DodgeGuy18 Junior Member

Hi everyone! I am new to this site and to the snowplow business as a whole. I am a college students and plan on doing some driveways just for the fun of it as well as for some extra cash. In previous years, I did some part-time work with a friend who is in the business, so I do have some experience. The truck which I plan on using is my 2001 Dodge Ram 2500, regular cab 360 V8 4x4. Recently, I picked up a Fisher Minute Mount 1 RD 7'6" on Craigslist for $500. It included the joystick, but no mount or wiring. First, is this plow a good size/choice for my truck and what I plan to use it for? If so, what is my best bet for installing the mount and wiring? Is it something I can do myself (I am an electrical engineer with many, many tools and a good amount of experience working on trucks)? Or should I take it somewhere to have it done? If I do it myself, where can I get a good deal on parts? Thanks for your input.

2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

That plow will work but an 8' would be alot better.

You should beable to hook it up your self. You are going to need the wiring, the plow moduale, and push plates.

3. DodgeGuy18

DodgeGuy18 Junior Member

I thought the same thing...The guy I bought the plow from was selling both a Fisher RD 7'6" and an 8'....both in similar condition for the same price. However, he recommended the 7'6" saying that the 8' would be too much weight for my truck (I have upgraded ball joints and 5000lb SuperCoils by the way) and too difficult to use for residential drives.......should I flip this plow and look for an 8'?

4. mercer_me

An 8' is definatly not to heavy for a 3/4 ton truck. Does that guy still have that 8'?

5. DodgeGuy18

DodgeGuy18 Junior Member

Unfortunately, no. However, it seems like there are some good deals on 8' Fishers if I choose to go that route.

6. mercer_me

Your 7.5' will work. But an 8' would be alot better IMO.

7. KCPlowzer

KCPlowzer Junior Member

I am in the same boat. Curious why the 8' is better? I picked up a 7.5' blade and plan on plowing my mowing customers (residences with double wide drives). I could always find an 8' blade if it's really important. Looks like they just bolt onto the blade side mount. Is it really a lot easier with an 8 footer for the pushing off the drives or dragging?

8. mercer_me

An 8' will clear the tires more. In your case you would probably be fin with a 7.5'.