1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New To Business and Need NewTruck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PremierLand, Jun 10, 2004.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Hello all, this winter will be my first year plowing. I currently have a landscaping company, and i need a new truck for my landscaping uses, but i also will be using it for plowing. im looking at GMC Sierra 2500hd or 3500. I would get the disel.

Is the 2500hd Disel good for plowing? and is there many options i would have to choose from?

kind of vauge post, sorry. thank ya!

2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

why dont you get a new used diesel instead of going for 35 or 40k maybe go 20 or 27k just a suggestion

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You're 16 years old and going to buy a new truck? The first option you need to consider is - Are you going to be able to get General Liability insurance for plowing snow? If you opt to not get GL, then will your vehicle insurance be voided when you push snow?

4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

my 2500HD with a duramax diesel plows snow like a animal. I also have 600$+ amoth truck payments.

Do not figure into beingable to buy a truck the fact that you can make a certian amount of money plowing with it. Use plowing snow as a way to pay off your blade, give you some tax right offs, and give a bit of extra $ if your lucky.

Insurance will be through the roof. And GL insurance will make you want to puke. I'm 23 and have a clean record and thats the way I see it, I'd hate to be 16 and looking for ins.

I would go with a SRW 3500(for extra legal capacity, 2500hd is just as tough a truck) if you are just going to be plowing/towing fairly lite(if you start towing big skid steers on a regular basis duals is a safe idea)

5. PremierLand

from detroit

thanks guys, i was gearing towards a 2500hd or 3500 disel. also, the landscaping part of my business would be paying for it, so like before october, i would make sure i would have enough money, plus some to cover the payments in the winter, that way, if it didnt snow much, i wouldnt have a repoed truck ;)

looks like a new or new used 3500. it depends on the price diff, if the price diff between a new and used is like 5-8 grand, ill just get a new truck. but im not sure about a dully, i dont really want one, tooo big (i think). but i would like a 3500 4x4 4door (non-dully). but ill take what i can get, at least a 2500hd should be fine.

6. snoking

snoking Senior Member

what part of Mi are you in??

7. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

get a Chev 2500 HD, look into getting the 6.0 L V8 gas. A lot cheaper than a diesel at your point in business. It will plow any snow u ever want to plow

8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

thats a good idea gas prices are gonna start coming down

9. ratlover

from IL

3500 SRW didnt start getting offered till this year(well quite a few years ago you could get a SRW 3500) the only difference between a 3500 and a 2500HD is more springs in the back, different tires and a higher legal capacity. a crew cab will limit the amount of weight you can place up front(means a smaller blade) gas will have more than enough to push snow and be lighter. Diesel will get better milage especially while towing and have a higher resale. alot of gas vrs diesel comes down to personal prefernce becuase most times it dosnt clearly pay for most people to go diesel. You have to to big or run alot of miles.

10. PremierLand

from detroit

i would go with a disel for sure, if im gonna be spending that much money on a truck i mine as well get something i want, plus i currently spend close to $160 a week for my dakota that has to take preimum( or else engine nocks) and it only gets 9mpg. so if i had a disel, i think it would cut my costs per week down, even though it would make my montly payment more. i think i would go with the 3500 long bed, disel, srw, with extended cab (not the full 4door). ithink a truck like that would last me a long time, and i know the manager at the gm delear and he said he would help me out.

11. ratlover

from IL

extended cab long bed will be a long truck.

I get an average of 15-16 highway city mix that i do with mine.

12. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Put a new plenum gasket on your Dakota and you'll be back to running 87 octane and getting about 15MPG.

13. PremierLand

from detroit

festerw, i have a jet2 chip in it and it advandces the timeing, i need the extra hp though, because it helps with towing all the weight i do. if i take the chip out, i can run at 87 without nocks. but i need 91-93 to help with nocks due to timing. but i REALLY need a truck by october.