1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to Bulk Salting

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JUSTBE, Nov 27, 2007.

1. JUSTBE

JUSTBE Member

I am wondering how many yards approximately would 22 tons be on average? I am getting a quad-axle dump truck and wondering how many cubic yards that would be.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

2. WALKERS

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

Should be around 22 yards I would think.:salute:

3. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

i'd say closer to 17 to 18 yards...

4. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

i believe a yard is 2700 pounds ,but not for certain if that works with salt ,dirt is 2700,so i would say salt is close,maybe a bit lighter.sold in tons here.

5. cincy snowdog

if you are buying salt,the driver should have a scale ticket in his manifest with total weight,to show to dot to maybe avoid portable scales if pulled over. Also it should be for the actual sale with weights and measures.unless they sell per bucket then they dont have to show scale ticket on sale.

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Coarse Salt weighs 1350# per cubic yard (0.675 yds per ton or 14.85 yds for 22 tons)

Fine Salt weighs 2025# per cubic yard

7. Runner

Runner Senior Member

And of course, take into consideration the moisture content.
    These weights seem like they are on the rather dry side.
    moisture adds ALOT of weight, and sometimes, the material can really be pretty wet.

8. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

A yard varies between 1350-2000 #'s
    I usually figure 1650 as an average.
    So 26.6 yards

9. cincy snowdog

them numbers seem low ,real low.but i deal in tons with registered tickets so no guess work for us. we haul right out of barge salt pad on the river about two miles away.got four major salt co.s there all use tons or pounds. But at the one gravel pit ,they use yards ,i feel like i get screwed when i go there,they dont weigh out they just go by what the operator calls in,but the other co goes by the pound and it always less money for a truckload of topsoil there,so i dont know ?. a yard is a guess when it comes to weight.

10. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

We buy by the tonne (2240 lbs)

we store by the yard

Given our storage and moisture content 2240 lbs is a yard

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

That's what I always thought but this thread made me second guess myself. 2204 lbs

12. JUSTBE

JUSTBE Member

Thanks.

Thanks to all of the replies. I just rented a 30 Cubic Yard roll-off dumpster to store the salt in and wanted to make sure I had enough space for the salt.

Now we just need to get the snow. Suppose to receive one to three this morning and only got flurries.:cry:

13. johndeereguy

johndeereguy Senior Member
    from Iowa

How do you plan on using a roll-off dumpster? Does the door open enought o get a skid loader in it to load out? Or what is your plans here. Sounds interesting, just waning to know more

14. JUSTBE

JUSTBE Member

Roll-Off Dumpster

It doesn't work too bad. I have a narrow skid steer that fits in from the end. The overall width of the dumpster is 8 feet. It does angle in at the bottom to 6 feet. The only trick is to build a solid enough of a ramp to get into the unit.

15. BOSS 444

BOSS 444 Member
    from In.

What is the dumpster going to run you? Are you just going to tarp it?

16. johndeereguy

johndeereguy Senior Member
    from Iowa

I was also wondering what they are charging you for rent on a dumpster like that. Also, do they ask or care that you are storing salt in it?