1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new to buisness can i get alittle help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by DAVID1963, Nov 18, 2007.

1. DAVID1963

DAVID1963 Member

i am not new to plowing but am new to plowing as part of my own business and wondering if anyone in pennsylvania can help me with what i should charge for basic drive ways and comercial lots, i just want some basic pricing for pa plowing and for salting if possible,also snow blowing. I would appreciate any help!!! thanks.

2. ondagawood

ondagawood Senior Member

Call around your area and get a list of quotes and make up your own prices. Thats what I did this year because I'm new to this also.

Good luck............. payup

3. DAVID1963

DAVID1963 Member

i tried that and everyone wants an address to come out and give a quote,all i want is some basic tips on what to charge in this area and everyone acts like they are afraid to tell you because you might step on their toes....i would never do that as i would not want it done to me.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Anyone can tell you there price. But what does it mean to you?
    Seriously.

We do not know your overhead, only you.
    You need to sit down and crunch some ##
    You say you are not new to plowing so how much$$ does take to run your truck an HR?
    maintaince.
    wear and tear.
    INS.
    etc.etc..

How much do you need to make?
    I could tell you that I charge X for drives.
    You start to also charge X but at the end of the year you lost money, How could this be.

Exampel;
    If It costs you $50hr to opperate.
    Materials X 3 or 50X3=$150hr

Work out the Q asked on/at this site on a spread sheet and post it when you are done...
    http://http://snow.grounds-mag.com/ar/grounds_maintenance_pricing_right/index.htm

Ps, Welcome to plowSite:waving::D

Relax, take your shues off, set a spell...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  5. DAVID1963

DAVID1963 Member

i understand all of that but everyone has to have some type of starting point,i mean how can i determine all these factors before i begin, yes i have plowed for many yrs but it was with a co. plow truck at my place of work so i never thought about cost or any other factors!! EVERYONE needs alittle guidance when first starting a business and thats all im asking for is a clue as to what to charge in my area,i dont want to be the guy that way over bids or worse yet loses his shirt trying to be the cheapest.

6. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

As A NEW business owner I'm sure you did a business plain.
    What did you find out?
    Or are you trying to apply someones else's#'s to your situation?
    That will only lead to failure.

I'm not playing with you. I'm trying to get you to think about the $$ need for start up, your opperating cost, and hopefully a profit.
    Because at this stage of the season this is something that should have been figured out back in July.
    Plowing season is hear the bus is leaving/left the station.

If you get a bid and loose money, what good did getting the bid do?
    If you get all of your bids you are too cheep.
    Getting no bids to expensive.
    this can be a hard way to learn you could go under before you get your prices inline.

That's why you have to figure out what your costs are.
    That web site is very helpfull in doing just that.

Figure out your costs this is something everyone of us who is sucessful does on a regular basses.

7. DAVID1963

DAVID1963 Member

that site would not open for me and i didnt plan to do this in july sorry,im not trying to use other peoples #s just a starting point but you are getting way to technical about this...all i asked for was a starting point,how do i know what my expenses will be before ever doing it? am i to guess? I am doing this on my own and am not some big co. Just a guy trying to make the right decisions.

8. toast

toast Member

9. DAVID1963

DAVID1963 Member

:dizzy: omg are you kidding me??? great i got it is that all i needed to do was read that frickin 47 page senerio?? wow now i am confused!!!!

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Well let's back up a little when you were plowing before how were you getting paid?
    By the hr or job?
    If a contractor can pay you $50 an hr as a sub they are making around $100 hr off of you.

How long did you plow hrs?
    hrs plowing+gas used.
    Ins cost over 4 months
    Maintenance costs.
    cost of plow over 5 years
    cost of truck over 5 years.
    # of plowable snow events a year.
    etc etc and any cost associated with your business.

For us we like to get from $120 to $160 an hr is what we use for bidding.

I bid a flat rate, per push, not by the hr so if I can do it in less time that i bid it for my profit margin goes up.

I would have a minum price of $35 for anything that takes less than 10 minnutes.
    charging anything less is not worth starting the truck for.

There is no insentive plowing by the hr.

I just want you to be able say in the spring that you made money so, so many loose money by not figuring out what they really need to be charging.

11. DAVID1963

DAVID1963 Member

thanks for the help,believe it or not i plowed a lot that held 600 cars/ auto dealer lot for nothing every year for my work,left the job and now starting my own business.

12. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Price

David, every new person trys to get priceing info. Since your new and will probably be doing residential until you get established ( stay away from commercial for now ) I would advise you to start at somewhere around 100 dollars per hr. Since you have done this for years as you state you should be able to figure how long a drive will take. Never go less the 15 minutes to make yopur bidding easy. 100 per hr / by 4 + 25. dollars for 15 minutes work. If you plow it in 10 minutes you charge 25, 30 minutes 50 45 minutes 75 and 100 for an hr.

You should be able to make money in this ball park. Of course you need to take everything into consideration. Will that cover the cost of your insureance for plowing? business license? maintenance and gas. How much an hr as a driver do you want to make? But for someone new that should be a decent starting point.

13. DAVID1963

DAVID1963 Member

thanks alot thats all i was looking for!!!:salute:

14. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

I am charging 30 per push for a standard drive way and front sidewalk if the house is on a cornor and they want both sides taken care then i charge an extra 10-15 depending on how much sidewalk there is to shovel and then the price wil go up if they want rock salt and go up more if they want calcium and yet again it will go up if they want a done by time hope this helps out