1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new to buisness can i get alittle help from pennsylvania users

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by DAVID1963, Nov 18, 2007.

1. DAVID1963

DAVID1963 Member

i am not new to plowing but am new to plowing as part of my own business and wondering if anyone in pennsylvania can help me with what i should charge for basic drive ways and comercial lots, i just want some basic pricing for pa plowing and for salting if possible,also snow blowing. I would appreciate any help!!! thanks.

2. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

what part of pa...commercially we are getting $80 - $90 an hour plus about $50 a 1/4 ton forsalting. driveways for an average one about $40 but we dont do too many driveways mostly just our lawn customers

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I wasn't going to post because i'm not from pa but it's all relative.
    Anyone can tell you there price. But what does it mean to you?
    Seriously.

We do not know your overhead, only you.
    You need to sit down and crunch some ##
    You say you are not new to plowing so how much$$ does take to run your truck an HR?
    maintaince.
    wear and tear.
    INS.
    etc.etc..

How much do you need to make?
    I could tell you that I charge X for drives.
    You start to also charge X but at the end of the year you lost money, How could this be.

Exampel;
    If It costs you $50hr to opperate.
    Materials X 3 or 50X3=$150hr

Work out the Q asked on/at this site on a spread sheet and post it when you are done...
    http://http://snow.grounds-mag.com/a...ight/index.htm

Ps, Welcome to plowSite

Relax, take your shues off, set a spell...

4. DAVID1963

DAVID1963 Member

THANKS TOM, i am from the lansdale area and just starting a new landscaping/snow plowing business this year,what would you do as far as using a snow blower or not,i was going to use a walk behind spreader and a snow blower for walks or do you think i should invest in a tailgate salt spreader and leave the blower behind? I dont know how i could take a blower on my truck if i have a tailgate spreader because i dont want to use a swing away mount for the spreader do to having to put holes in my truck bed for mounting and lifting my blower in and out of the bed would be a bit too much. what do you guys do? Thanks alot Dave!

5. TSherman

TSherman Member

I would charge $150 an hour, and triple your product costs for applications. If you want to raise those prices by 10-20 percent that would help the guys in this area that have been in business a while too!

6. BossPlow614

BossPlow614 2000 Club Member

Don't charge by the hour! Never, ever charge by the hour! Opens up doors to parameters you don't want!

Figure out how long the job would take you and price accordingly. You'd be an idiot to try to make charge $150/hr & you're plowing a driveway that takes 5 min ($12.50 is what that calculates to be ) to do and you sit there and screw around til you get to 12 min spent on the property to get the $30 that is to be charged. Always configure how many man hours the job will take & bill accordingly

Posted via Mobile Device

7. TSherman

TSherman Member

Shhhhh! He lives like 5 minutes from me! LOL

8. Tubby's Snow Plowing

Tubby's Snow Plowing Senior Member

This thread is 3 years old.

9. dodge15004x45.9

dodge15004x45.9 Senior Member
    from malvern

Yea it really is.