1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to BOSS plows

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by DCJ inc., Sep 11, 2008.

1. DCJ inc.

DCJ inc. Member

well the title says it all..anyhting i should know about maintance, storage and hte like. any hint or trick that make operation easyer or more reliable?
  2. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

All I do is make sure it's cleaned after each use. Just run it through a car wash and spray it down, touch up and scratches or rust with some rust-oleum and Boss red spray paint, and keep your plug connections lubed with di-electric grease and you should be good to go. I've had one of my Boss' for 4 years and it still looks and performs like new.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Take it off and leave it in the corner of the driveway till next yr?
  4. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

fluid changes every year, sorry to say mine is just sitting in the elements, but its usually under tarp all summer. spraying the entire unit down with fluid film a couple times a season also keeps up the appearance and prohibits rust. check the fluid level before plowing. di-electric grease the plugs if they look a little dry. i carry spare hoses and solenoids just incase. not sure how operation could be easier, ive never found anything difficult about mine.

im sure others have more to add.....
  5. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Thats what i do. bought it used 5 years ago. Still have not changed the fluid. Though i do have it sitting on the shelf. Just keep telling myself there's no reason to change it if it works the same every time i plug it in...
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Just the usual things like on any plow that the guys already mentioned...fluid changes and flushes, hoses (including the two inside the hydro cover), springs, pins and such.

Pull the hydro cover off once a year and check all the electrical connects for cleanliness and to be sure the connections are good and tight. Either coat them with dielectric grease or a better approach is to spray everything down under the hydro cover with Fluid Film....THE perfect application for it.

On an RT3 series Boss specifically, make sure to keep the attaching pins greased. Makes the attack and detach much better than running them dry. Also check the four small attaching pin springs and roll pins (two on each side) that are hidden under the attaching pin housings (where your "on" "off" decals are). These springs are the only thing that hold pressure on the pins that keep the plow attached to the truck. You can lose one spring and never even know it...but you lose both on the same side and you'll discover it rather quickly...because the pin will work its way out of the attaching ear on the mount causing the plow to move around on the truck mount....not good. A shot of Fluid Film up under those attaching pin housings is a super smart idea as well once a year.

Once every couple of seasons (depending on actual use) pull the front pivot bolt as well as the rear A-frame to light tower pins and give them a little chassis grease and check the holes, the pivot bolt, and pins for wear.

Every couple years pull the reservoir off and clean it and the filter. Isn't necessary at every fluid change like should be done on most other plows as the Boss hydros are well protected from external contamination under the plastic pump cover. On a Boss specifically.. if the pump filter becomes clogged it's because your either running the wrong fluid or you have a packing or hose breaking down inside, contaminating the system. You'll seldom find water or moisture in a Boss hydro system....the inside the hydro cover vent/breather cap makes all the difference. They've been doing it the right way from day one and never changed.. :nod: Shame every plow manufacture doesn't use this simple but very effective method. Would save a lot of frozen plows for guys that won't do the correct PM, namely annual fluid changes.

These couple PM measures will keep it alive for many many years to come.
  7. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

wow am i surprised that grandview did mention the fluid film first shame on you lol
  8. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Think of it as bubble gum. After chewing it awhile, it looses its flavor! Now try chewing the same piece again next week....yeah its chewable, but has no flavor or desire to it. The same goes for fluid changes in plows. jmo:cool:
  9. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

I dont like bubble gum.....:jester:
  10. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

we keep ours outside in the corner of the driveway, same way we've done it since 2001 when we bought it new. every year or 2 we change the fluid, keep all the conections greased and all the pins and such lubed up.

worked great for 7 years! looking forword to another year with it.
  11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I didn't think I should have to mention it any more I thought it was assumed that it would be.

ff end test pixs 010 (Small) (Small) (Small).jpg
  12. camaro1698

camaro1698 Junior Member

fluis change how to

Can anyone post a step by step on how change the fluid on an RT3 with the smarthitch? I've had mine 3 yrs with no change and I want to do it right the first time. Thanks
  13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Search here in the Boss forum. Use "fluid change" as your search phrase. Lots of reading. :nod: