1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new to boss...just want to get my facts straight

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by cdahl1177, Jan 17, 2011.

1. cdahl1177

cdahl1177 Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

i am new to the website but i have plowed snow for 4 years now. i have a chevy 2500HD duramax and i am getting ready to purchase a plow for it. ever since i started plowing snow ive considered boss to be the best. i drive for a business that runs western wideouts. the boss of the company keeps telling me that his wideout will beat a boss 9'2" power VXT. i think he is blowing smoke but i just want to make sure before i spend the money. basically is there any truth to this statement? thanks

2. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

I guess I don't understand what you mean by "beat"......I love my Boss because its tough, reliable, and customer service (in my experience) has been outstanding. I find them easy to install, maintain, and attach/detach from my truck. My 9.2 V-XT will move ALOT Of snow.

Its the only brand I will ever buy.

Ask your company boss if he has even ever owned a BOSS product. If he has then I guess he has right to give his opinion.

3. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

a blizzard/wideout type plow will be faster in parking lots than a v blade. our boss v's with wings will beat our blizzard 810 in parking lots.

i prefer v blades for driveways though.

the fit & finish and paint quality, controls is top notch on the boss, better than any other brand imo.

so i guess it depends on what type of work you'll be doing.

4. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

A Wideout is nice for the leading / trailing power wing design and the compactness / instant width. A Boss can match that with it's manual wings, folding design, and much simpler design than a Power Plow.

Depends on what you are doing.

5. cdahl1177

cdahl1177 Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

the company boss has never owned a boss product. he is just one of those guys that what ever he owns must be the best. so i just wanted to make sure he didnt by some grace of god make sense. i will be doing 60%/40% driveways to parking lots so i need the versatility

6. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

If you want carrying capacity, get a V. The Wideout depends on it's full width being extended for maximum carrying capacity. Breaking driveways open is easier with a V too. I would then get a set of wings for lots.

7. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Boss plows are nice but I hate that mount that hangs down when there is no plow on the truck.

8. cdahl1177

cdahl1177 Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

i have to believe that a V is the better over all plow and thats what im going with.

9. Indy

Indy Senior Member

true dat !!

10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The Boss V will be the best all around plow for you

11. cdahl1177

cdahl1177 Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

thanks for all the help

12. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Where in NE Ohio are you? BTW, get a 9' 2".

13. cdahl1177

cdahl1177 Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

we service twinsberg, streetsboro, hudson, stow, cuyahoga falls, solon. you?

14. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

not sure about pinky but we service, parma, north royalton, seven hills, independence, maple heights

15. cdahl1177

cdahl1177 Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

how has the season been for you pro touch. i wouldnt mind if it starts snowing now and doesnt stop til april but thats just me

16. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

This is heresay, but when you buy that plow, supposedly there are a certain group of gentlemen over in Royalton that do pretty good work with the Boss plows. Never been there myself though.

17. cdahl1177

cdahl1177 Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

thanks for the inside tip. i will research it

18. ommegang

ommegang Senior Member
    from wi

I plowed w/ a new Blizzard SW. Took a beating but blew an o-ring 2nd season. And, changing the oil was absurd, bordering on asinine, design wise. Rusted 5 minutes after plowing and the cutting edge wears extremely fast. I would never purchase another DD product again. Customer sevice - well - it took me quite a long time to even find thier phone #. It's wasn't even listed on thier website. Any company that doesn't list thier # on thier website doesn't want to be contacted. Wide-outs are over-rated. Too many potential problems and I don't care how wide a plow can extend - you can only push so much snow. And. the V is invaluable with it's versatility. No question here. Avoid DD. IMO. I have a 2011 9'2 VXT. 80 hours so far. Love it!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  19. OhioPlow

OhioPlow Junior Member

Boss Plow NE Ohio

If you are looking for a Boss Plow in NE Ohio you can't beat the guys at North Royalton Power Equipment. I've bought all my Boss and Scag equipment there and they have never left me hanging. The best in customer service.

20. cdahl1177

cdahl1177 Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

ommegang, thats all i need to hear. i just cant imagine that a wideout is better than a V across the board. my boss is an idiot. thats all there is to it. thanks for the info ohioplow. my buddy buys everything from a place in north canton but i will definitely shop around to save a few $$$.