1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new to bidding meduim sized lots

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by jbsplow, Oct 27, 2013.

1. jbsplow

jbsplow Senior Member
    from -

hey guys I just started this year my own plowing company. I have a few driveways but I got asked to bid on 2 commercial lots. not real big just 2 bar parking lots. I was wondering how I should charge i'm in Milwaukee Wisconsin. what should a fair rate be per hour in MY truck with a 7'6 blade. also I just do driveways and most of them don't want salt so ive never got into the salting part yet. how much should I charge for salt and how do I calculate how much salt I would use on a lot?

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Say your question is missing some information Size of the lot
    Not all bar lots are the same size

Only you know your overhead

3. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

First, a 7'6" plow will be costing you money. Commercial lots require commercial grade plows.

Ask the owners what specs they want, then bid accordingly. Do they want per plow, per storm, seasonal?

You need to make at least 100 an hour, otherwise, you are not going to make money. 150 an hour is not a bad target. 200 is better though.

4. jbsplow

jbsplow Senior Member
    from -

ok thanks I figured 100 a hour the lot should take me maybe 25- 30 mins to plow so id charge 55 per push every 3 inches. Now I've never done salting and just have a walk behind salter. these lots are not like malls or Wal-Mart's there just easy bar parking lots. ill try and get a pic. how do I calculate how much salt I would use, and charge the customer?

5. jbsplow

jbsplow Senior Member
    from -

there's a guy in town who just opened up a restraunt this year, and his lot is kind of big so he went out and bought a brand new truck instead of paying someone to plow his lot. He's got a 2500 hd gmc with a 9-6 western v plow, and on his flyers it says his rate is 55 a hour for commercial lots? how the hell would this dude make any money? I get paid 60 - 65 hr for a 7-6 western being a sub contractor. so basically he would plow anything for half of my price with a plow 2 feet bigger wow...:nono:

6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

You be better off picking up a tail gate spreader a 25-30min at 3'' sounds like a good size lot. For people to help you need post up the square footage of the lots . Salt is base off that

7. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

After factoring in all costs, he will be breaking even if he's lucky. He just doesn't know what the true cost over time is.
    He's basically plowing for the fun of it.

Around here, the average rate equals $160 +/- per hour of pushing snow.
    Nobody is getting wealthy either.