1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to bidding commercial properties

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by NEsnowNEwb, Jan 23, 2016.

1. NEsnowNEwb

NEsnowNEwb Junior Member

Hello Plowsite! Great forum. I've been reading up on the what to and not to do's all over this site. Very informative. Thank you.

With that being said, I unfortunately am running out of time on a commercial bid that is a bit jumbled so I need to get straight to question and answer time.

Background: My friend and I work for a commercial outfit that does many, many local commercial properties. My crew boss lets us borrow equipment as necessary (blowers, salters, etc) when the snow accumulation requires it for our after work side jobs of domestic drive/walk ways etc. Well we were recently contacted to bid on a 7 property job that involves mainly walk ways and entrances, with three properties needing a drive cleared, two of which are storage unit lots.

Here's what I'm thinking:
    We estimate each individual property based on a 0.1" - 4" and so on scale. We tell them the price of each with that scale + price of salting for the ones they want salted. The question here is what about the fact that we don't have a plow for the 3 that could use it? Do we eat it on the price since someone with a plow could easily get it done faster (it still requires the clearance up to garages and pedestrian walk ways etc)?

Secondly, since we are only doing small time domestic drives etc, we dont have insurance. My only real concern would be shooting out a window of a car with the blower, but there is also someone busting their ass at the salted properties to think about. How do I state that yes I will salt them, but I'm not liable for an injury (we can just be really careful about the windows)?

Lastly, if I were to go the hourly route, and used a plowing time rate basically on those that don't necessarily require it but could benefit from a plow, does the clock start when I leave the house or show up at the site?

I'll take some google map pics of the two that concern me most and post them shortly.

Thank you in advance and be safe.

2. NEsnowNEwb

NEsnowNEwb Junior Member

Site pics

These are the two storage unit properties. They say the main drives dont need to be pushed, just the parking area and pedestrian walks. But Im sure not going to leave an island in the middle of each drive way. . .

http://screenshot.co/#!/5ed2a1a67c

http://screenshot.co/#!/3c2fb5fe76

I'm also curious what you all would charge to do that once, with no more than 6" of snow and all of the sidewalk around it.

Thanks again.

3. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

They're taking bids for snow removal at the end of January?

4. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

where does the snow go?

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

1st and foremost, you'll need insurance.

I/we/they careless however your contract is wrote up.

I don't want to classify you as a scab/low baller but if the shoe fits....

As mentioned earlier who looks at the end of January for snow removal bids?

6. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

Just say no. It's too late in the year, something isn't right. Also, like old dog said, doesn't matter what your contract says, if something happens your liable.

Take this year to figure some stuff out. Get your own stuff, along with insurance and everything else you need. Get your bids going Aug-Oct. You'll have some stragglers, but January 23rd is a red flag.

7. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

confused

1) you have to have insurance

2) what exactly are they wanting done? the public sidewalk in front of the complex? in front of the doors to the units, but not the middle concrete pad? is that where they want you to put the snow then? (in the middle)

3) I don't see anywhere to put stacked snow? garage doors everywhere. Have to haul it?

8. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

First thing, they are looking for prices now?
    Are you properly insured?
    You don't even own any equipment, you borrow it?
    What happens if the boss has had enough of that and he puts an end to it?