1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to ATV plowing

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by Seismic_Pirate, May 29, 2010.

1. Seismic_Pirate

Seismic_Pirate Junior Member

Hey guys! I've never plowed with an ATV, but just bought a 2010 Sportsman 550 XP EPS with a 60" Moose straight blade. Any thoughts on how well this rig will do, tips, or comments? I'll be plowing in Upper Michigan, working snowfalls up to 2-3 feet.
  2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

You should plow in 4wd low range IMO. You mite want to put some weight on your back rack. I plow with chains on my rear tires. If the snow is wet and heavy you are only going to be able to push 4 or 5 inches. If the snow is light you can push 6 to 8 inches.
  3. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Plow with the storm. Don't wait until it's done and try to move 2 feet of snow! You may also want to invest in a battery tender jr. That way your battery is fully charged and ready to go when ever you need it.
  4. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

just what both the other's have said. Chains are a great help and plow with the storm if you can.

due some back reading on this site in the ATV section and you can learn alot of great info.

what size area are you plowing?
  5. Seismic_Pirate

Thanks guys!

Replacing the stocks with 26" Bighorns and probably chains on the rears, to boot. I've got a 240 pound chunk of steel from an old furnace I can "toss" on the back rack if need be. Just ordered a battery tender. Thanks for the advise and I'll search around, too. You guys got a great site here!!
  6. Seismic_Pirate

Oh yeah, and I'm just doing a 40X20 drive and maybe some bits at the next-door neighbors. Nothing major except the amount of snow we get here. We avg about 300" :(
  7. JoeCool

JoeCool Senior Member
    from Canada

With those amounts you will need to pre-plan where you can push the snow to. You may need to stack or push far back from the drive so you can keep clearing the full size of the drive all winter. Another option is to bring in a blower or loader to stack once you run out of room. I had a loader, blower and quad-plow for a couple seasons. Used the loader to push back once or twice in a season. Found the quad was simply more fun and sold the loader.