1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New To a V Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cdmckane, Oct 29, 2014.

1. cdmckane

cdmckane Member

So, after years of plowing with a 7.5 ft Western on a 77 K5 Blazer, I'm getting an 8.5 ft Fisher XV hung on the front of my Hemi tomorrow. The Blazer puked a tranny and I'm not dumping that kind of money into an almost 40 year old rusted out plow truck.

My question is this: How is the best way to transport a V plow? I've seen guys driving around in scoop, V, and angled in either direction. With the straight blade, I always angled towards the curb, but I'm just not sure if that's the best way to transport a V.

Sorry if this isn't in the right section. Please feel free to move it to somewhere more appropriate. Thanks, Chris.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Leave it in the v position if the ends hit the street bump it out a little
  3. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

I agree V is best
  4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

5. PremierSnowPlow

PremierSnowPlow Senior Member

V, best wind resistance.
  6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

and helps squeezing through traffic......:rolleyes:
  7. Lcmains1

Lcmains1 Member

Are you getting the xv2? I have the xv2 and have to run angled. The xv2 is a big plow and I tend to overheat when running around in the v position, it blocks too much of the radiator
  8. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

If I saw someone driving around a V plow in scoop mode I'd wonder about that dude.
  9. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I'd make sure I was heading the other direction.Thumbs Up
  10. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

V when moving forward, scoop when in reverse...:laughing:
  11. procuts0103

procuts0103 Senior Member

If I seen someone or one of my guys driving or backing up with the plow in full scoop I'd slap them. That's way to much weight to leave hanging out front of the truck. I tell my guys to v it back some when in reverse. I could care less about wearing out the plow. But front end parts are to expensive.

Leave it tucked back in v position. 70 mph no problem
  12. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

What do you have for a truck? I have an xv2 on an '01F250 and before that had a 9'straight blade..never have had an overheating problem.
  13. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I hear that most any GM will still have overheating issues with plows on....which I find absurd. This is the 21st century for crying out loud.
    FTR, my F250 can be driven in 80° temps with the plow on and not overheat.
  14. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Drove my boss home 65 miles per hour for 90 minutes on my F350, no problems overheating
  15. jerpa

jerpa Member

I transport in V. Never had a problem with overheating on my '13 GMC 2500 even when moving the plow in the middle of summer.
  16. PremierSnowPlow

PremierSnowPlow Senior Member

My 89 chevy 2500 had a problem over heating that's it! My f350 PSD has no problems.
  17. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

My 2015 Silverado 2500 has an auxiliary cooling system as part of the snow plow prep package.
  18. bakerproperty

bakerproperty Junior Member

Guy must have way to much money in his fuel budget..